Past Clinic: Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Thu, Jun, 13 2019 - Fri, Jun, 14 2019
Fair Valley Swim and Tennis Club
5975 Brantford Rd., Dayton, OH 45414
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Dayton, OH.
Ashland Area YMCAInfo
Northview High SchoolInfo
C.W. Avery Family YMCAInfo
NKU Campus Recreation CenterInfo
Hobart High SchoolInfo
Columbus School for GirlsInfo
Bethel Park High SchoolInfo
Twinsburg Fitness CenterInfo
Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
Valparaiso High SchoolInfo
Lyons Township High School SouthInfo
Smith Family YMCAInfo
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!!
Did you know the fastest parts of every race are the start and turns? At this high performance swim camp, participants will work on explosive starts and relay exchanges on Thursday. Then on Friday, the focus will be on fast flip turns and open turns. Older swimmers will also cover the crossover turn on the second day.
This clinic will be held by Olympian Elvis Burrows! Elvis will share the same drills and techniques he used to become one of the fastest sprinters in the world with your swimmer. Scroll down to read more about the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days)
Ages 11 and Under: Check in 8:00 AM, Clinic 8:30 AM-10:30 AM
Ages 12 and Older: Check in 11:00 AM, Clinic 11:30 AM-2:00 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Elvis will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without your coach’s suggestion.
DAY 1 (THURSDAY): STARTS AND RELAY EXCHANGES
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into underwater dolphin kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Olympian Elvis Burrows will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start and relay exchanges. Your swimmer will learn some of the most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Glenn will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
DAY 2 (FRIDAY): FAST TURNS (PLUS IM TRANSITIONS FOR 12 & OLDER)
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns. Many people don’t realize this, but the push off and streamline from the wall after a turn should be the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water. Even elite level swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns that slow them down and can even cause them to lose close races. Olympian Elvis Burrows will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- IM TRANSITIONS (12 & OVER ONLY): The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from backstroke to breaststroke in an IM race. It has made headlines lately even top swimmers getting disqualified for not doing it correctly. Olympian Elvis Burrows will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Elvis questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Elvis swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Elvis’s medals, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!