Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Jan, 11 2020 - Sun, Jan, 12 2020
9850 Providence Road, Charlotte, NC 28277
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Registration for this camp is limited to SwimMAC team members only.
As swimmers approach the championship season, it’s important to develop the racing skills that will help take their swimming to the next level. On Saturday the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and relay exchanges as well as well-timed finishes. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every wall whether with a flip turn or an open turn into powerful underwater dolphin kicks.
Your Elite Clinician for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary! Tyler is one of the most experienced and highly reviewed clinicians with Fitter and Faster. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
11 & Under
Saturday: Check in 3:45 PM, Clinic 4:00 PM-6:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:45 AM
12 & Over
Saturday: Check in 7:00 PM, Clinic 7:15 PM-9:45 PM
Sunday: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-4:00 PM
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Tyler will be in the water leading two sessions for each age group. This camp is designed for SwimMAC swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): STARTS, RELAY EXCHANGES, AND FINISHES
Whether in an individual event or a relay, the start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and your swimmer will only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will break down these important movements that begin each race. At the other end, timing the finish can be the difference between winning and losing a close race.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Tyler will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Both the swimmer finishing and the swimmer starting have a job to do when executing a proper relay exchange. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal but small reaction time and a fast exchange.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, & UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!