Explosive Performance & Race Strategy Camp Series
Fri, Jun, 25 2021 - Sun, Dec, 19 2021
Tupelo Aquatic Center
692 N Veterans Memorial Blvd, Tupelo, MS 38804
Explosive Performance Camp Series – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This camp series is designed for swimmers to refine their movements on the most explosive parts of each race: starts and turns! August will focus on powering off the start and carrying the speed through underwaters into fast turns and strong finishes. December’s curriculum is yet to be decided!
August 28-29: Explosive Starts & Turns Camp
- Both days:
- Ages 9-12: Check in 6:15 AM, Clinic 6:30-9 AM
- 13 & Over: Check in 9:30 AM, Clinic 9:45 AM – 12:45 PM
December 17-19: TBD
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Sessions are based on age groups. 11 & 12 year-olds are allowed to attend the 13 & Older sessions if they have AA time in at least 1 event.
The fastest that swimmers are ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn! On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and snappy breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn into a well-timed finish. This camp will be led by Four Time Olympian, Roland Schoeman!
AUGUST 28: Starts & Underwaters
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater into a momentum-carrying breakout. Roland has spent countless hours practicing these skills and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Roland will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Roland will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a powerful and beautiful backstroke start so swimmers can execute a solid beginning to their race.
- UNDERWATER PULLOUT: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool. Participants will practice how to utilize this skill in their breaststroke swims!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Swimmers will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate into the lap.
AUGUST 29: Turns & Finishes
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Roland will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with Roland to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap!