Explosive Performance & Comprehensive Butterfly Camp Series
Sat, Jul, 24 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
Union County Family YMCA
1150 Charles Ln, Marysville, OH 43040
Explosive Performance & Comprehensive Butterfly Camp Series –SAVE by signing up both days of one camp or multiple days across multiple camps!
This exclusive swim camp series consists of two, 2-day swim camps. This series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their starts and turns as well as enhance their racing performance in butterfly.
July 24-25: Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns Camp
November 27-28: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Camps):
11 & Under
Saturday: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1-3:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
12 & Over
Saturday: Check in 4 PM, Clinic 4:15-7:15 PM
Sunday: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3:30 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
The fastest that swimmers are ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn! On Saturday, the curriculum will focus on explosive starts, powerful underwater dolphin kicking, and snappy breakouts. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn into a well-timed finish. This camp will be led by Olympian Santiago Grassi!
JULY 24: STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start sets up a swimmers race. The more power off the block the better! There are countless intricacies to performing an explosive start, followed by an efficient and dominating underwater. Olympian Santiago Grassi has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Santiago will work with swimmers to find their best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their underwater. It's the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined underwater speed is vital for every level of swimmer.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into the lap.
JULY 25: TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. Santiago will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race.
- FLIP TURNS: Participants will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. The swimmers will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Participants will work with Santiago to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. Saturday will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. On Sunday, participants will learn advanced racing skills including underwater dolphin kicking and take their stroke to top speed.
NOVEMBER 27: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Participants will work with our elite clinicians to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Fast butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Participants will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with our clinicians on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Attendees will work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly. Clinicians will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common mistake swimmers run into is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
NOVEMBER 28: BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED
After building a solid butterfly stroke on day 1, swimmers will refine their racing skills and apply speed to their butterfly. Clinicians will work with swimmers on swimming butterfly with speed and efficiency while maintaining a solid technique!
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: Tempo is how fast or slow a stroke is completed. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. faster tempos are more tiring but increase speed. Participants will work on different butterfly tempos and discover how to apply that to their racing.
- TEMPO: Tempo is how fast or slow a stroke is completed. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. faster tempos are more tiring but increase speed. Participants will work on different butterfly tempos and discover how to apply that to their racing.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is undeniably the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed and applying it is vital for every swimmer!
- KICK COUNT: Counting dolphin kicks off of each wall is another way your swimmer can switch up their strategy in butterfly races. By tracking how long they stay underwater, they will have a better streamline and breakout on each turn!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
At each session of this series, swimmers and parents are invited to ask the Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians at each session swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap AND a Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!