Past Clinic: Elite 4 Day Camp – Arlington, VA
Mon, Aug, 20 2018 - Thu, Aug, 23 2018
Yorktown High School
5200 Yorktown Blvd, Arlington, VA 22207
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Arlington, VA.
The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment ComplexInfo
Pine-Richland Swimming PoolInfo
Keystone Aquatic CenterInfo
Raritan Valley Community CollegeInfo
Nazareth Area Middle SchoolInfo
Hollidaysburg Area High SchoolInfo
Concord High SchoolInfo
Sayville Middle SchoolInfo
Montgomery County, MDInfo
THIS CAMP IS SOLD OUT – So we added 2 more elite camps in Arlington, VA:
Elite 11 & Older 3-Day Camp: August 24-26
High Performance Ages 9-11 3-Day Camp: September 14-16
Your lead clinicians will be Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and the three time winner of the American Swimming Coaches Association’s “Coach of the Year Award”, Olympic Coach, Bruce Gemmell. Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance 4 session camp. Read more on the curriculum for each clinic below.
This clinic is SOLD OUT! See links above to register for another camp we have coming to Arlington.
Sessions are limited to 36 participants (Only swimmers ages 11 and older)! Tyler and Coach Gemmell will lead four sessions.
This camp is SOLD OUT - Two new camps have been added
See the top of this page for links to register
(SOLD OUT) SESSION 1: DIVES, BACKSTROKE STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, AND BREAKOUTS
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and Olympic Coach Bruce Gemmell will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- FLAT STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Tyler and Coach Gemmell will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Tyler and Coach Gemmell will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Not a single great dolphin kicker kicks from their knees down! Tyler and Coach Gemmell will instruct your swimmer on how to engage your kick from the core, utilizing your chest press and hip drive to create a fluid undulating motion. The fastest swimmers in the world dolphin kick off of their walls, learn how to get more speed and power out of every kick!
- BREAKOUTS: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
(SOLD OUT) SESSION 2: OPEN TURNS, FLIP TURNS, & FINISHES
Even elite level swimmers sometimes add in extra movements on their open and flip turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of their turns! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and Olympic Coach Bruce Gemmell, will teach your swimmer how to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Tyler and Coach Gemmell will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You don't turn around; you spin backwards! Spinning backwards enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. Turning around is a process of stopping and going again. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn!
- FINISHES: Turns and finishes have a lot in common. In both cases, swimmers must accelerate into the wall! Many races come down to hundredths of a second. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that when it comes to close races, your swimmer always comes out on top.
(SOLD OUT) SESSION 3: FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE
Often called the "long axis strokes", freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common! Both strokes require a long and strong body line, powerful rotation, and an early press back into the water. Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and Olympic coach Bruce Gemmell will teach the participants drills and skills for a faster freestyle and backstroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Tyler and Coach Gemmell will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Tyler McGill and Olympic Coach Bruce Gemmell will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
(SOLD OUT) SESSION 4: BREASTSTROKE & BUTTERFLY
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that a swimmer's arms and legs aren't fighting each other and they can swim more connected and with more efficiency!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Tyler and Coach Gemmell will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler and Coach Gemmell questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!