Costa Mesa, CA
Past Clinic: Fast Freestyle & Backstroke Technique for Ages 12 & over
Mon, Jan, 16 2023 - Sun, Mar, 26 2023
Costa Mesa High School
2650 Fairview Rd, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Costa Mesa, CA.
Bakersfield College William A. Wheeler Aquatic CenterInfo
Vista Hermosa Sports ParkInfo
Seco Canyon PoolInfo
Rancho Simi Community PoolInfo
Woollett Aquatic CenterInfo
Woollett Aquatics CenterInfo
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day swim camp in Costa Mesa, CA on March 25 & 26, 2023. This camp page is for swimmers ages 12 & over. Click here for the camp for swimmers ages 9 to 11.
FAST FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE (Ages 12 & Over)
-> DAY 1: Freestyle Day!
-> DAY 2: Backstroke Day!
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for details on each camp!
-> Availability is limited to ensure the highest level learning experience!
-> Save when purchasing a "Full Camp Bundle".
SESSION START TIMES: Check in 12:30 PM, Camp 12:45-3:45 PM
Our top priority is to provide a world-class learning experience for all participants at all of our camps. This camp has sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over. If you are the parent of a child ages 9 to 11, CLICK HERE!
High Performance Freestyle & Backstroke Technique - MARCH 25 & 26, 2023
Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same body position, posture, rotation, and an early “catch” to move down the pool with efficiency and speed. They are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso around their spine. Over two days, your swimmer, no matter their level, will improve their freestyle and backstroke technique, racing and training skills!
- DAY 1: FREESTYLE DAY! (March 25)
- DAY 2: BACKSTROKE DAY! (March 26)
- Bodyline: On each day of this camp, participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core for better technique in freestyle and backstroke. Participants will learn how even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference in creating more hydrodynamic and efficient strokes - for faster swimming!
- Rotation: Freestyle and backstroke are fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming both strokes has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke they take! On Day 1 we will work on rotation skills for Freestyle and on Day 2 rotation skills for backstroke.
- Kicking: While similar, the kick is different in freestyle and backstroke. In both strokes the kick is the motor behind their races! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review on each day of this camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- Pull: The pull in both freestyle and backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. On each day of this camp, your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling your swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the freestyle and backstroke arm-pull keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter & Faster give away item!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!
Search all of our clinics...or request a clinic in your area