High Performance Butterfly Racing Camp
Sat, Jun, 05 2021 - Sun, Oct, 24 2021
222 25th Ave N, Nashville, TN 37203
Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp –SAVE by signing up both days of one camp or multiple days across multiple camps!
This swim camp series is designed for competitive swimmers to refine their technique and racing skills in all butterfly events.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Each camp will be led by Olympic Gold Medalist Clark Smith who swam at the highest level and is an exceptional teacher with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
– Group B Session 1: Check in 5 PM, Clinic 5:15-7:45 PM
– Group B Session 2: Check in 8 AM, Clinic 8:15-10:45 AM
– Group A Session 1: Check in 11:15 AM, Clinic 11:30-2:30 PM
– Group A Session 2: Check in 3 PM, Clinic 3:15-6:15 PM
October 23-24: Comprehensive Butterfly Racing Camp
– Group A: 100 yd Butterfly – 1:12 and faster
– Group B: 100 yd Butterfly – 1:13 and over
Butterfly is one of the most technical and challenging strokes, and participants at this camp will focus on becoming more efficient and faster butterfly swimmers. The first session will review the basic technique of the butterfly stroke. During the second session, participants will learn advanced racing skills including underwater dolphin kicking and take their stroke to top speed.
SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Participants will work with our clinicians to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Swimmers will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with our clinicians on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Clinicians will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common mistake swimmers run into is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
SESSION 2: BUTTERFLY APPLIED SPEED
After building a solid butterfly stroke on day 1, swimmers will refine their racing skills and apply speed to their butterfly. Olympian Clark Smith will work with swimmers on swimming butterfly with speed and efficiency while maintaining a solid technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. Swimmers will discover how changing speeds might change stroke count but shouldn't change stroke efficiency.
- TEMPO: Tempo is how fast or slow a stroke is completed. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. faster tempos are more tiring but increase speed. Participants will work on different butterfly tempos and discover how to apply that to their racing.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is undeniably the fastest way to move through the water! Understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed and applying it is vital for every swimmer!
- TRAINING BUTTERFLY: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s butterfly and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap!