Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp
Fri, May, 17 2019 - Sat, May, 18 2019
Sayville Middle School
291 Johnson Avenue, Sayville, NY 11782
Two-Day Comprehensive Freestyle Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every freestyle race. The first day will focus on explosive starts and flip turns. The second day is all about fast and efficient freestyle technique. Both days will have significant swimming time and utilize video for analysis of freestyle racing technique and drills.
Your clinician for this camp will be Elite Clinician and 5-time Olympian (2 as a swimmer and 3 times as a coach) Brett Hawke! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Brett will lead 4 sessions, two for each age group. This camp is reccommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old.
SESSIONS 1 & 2 (Friday May 17th): Starts and Flip Turns
Did you know that the fastest your swimmer is ever moving in a race is immediately after the start and turns? At these key points in a race, many swimmers, even at an elite level, do not know how to truly explode off of the bloicks or out of the turns. Swimmers can also add in extra movements that slow them down by creating drag. We believe that the start and flip turn are your swimmer's biggest opportunity to drop time. At these sessions, your swimmer will learn how to maximize their speed off of every start as well as into and out of every turn.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of power. Brett will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Brett will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
SESSIONS 3 & 4 (Saturday May 18th): Elite Freestyle Technique
Freestyle is the stroke that you swim more than any other. Creating good freestyle habits NOW will not only help your swimmer race fasster, but it will also help prevent injury in the future. Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke lead the participants through a drill progression that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help them create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will renforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from an Olympian.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Nick will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Brett will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
Brett will lead participants through a drill progression designed to help swimmers feel and understand the techniques required for faster and more efficient racing.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Olympian Brett Hawke, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!