Las Vegas, NV
Past Clinic: Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp
Sat, Jan, 04 2020 - Sun, Jan, 05 2020
Adelson Educational Campus
9700 Hillpointe Road, Las Vegas, NV 89134
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Las Vegas, NV.
Reedley High School Aquatic ComplexInfo
Santa Clarita Aquatics CenterInfo
Garces Memorial High SchoolInfo
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – This camp will focus on racing faster in every freestyle race. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Each age group will have two sessions: on Saturday, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful freestyle to become faster and more efficient swimmers. Then on Sunday, participants will work on developing speed, focusing on distance per stroke vs tempo, pacing, and a freestyle training set.
This clinic will be led by two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton and NCAA All-American Michael Duderstadt! Chloe and Michael’s attention to detail and eye for perfect technique will help your participant become a faster and more efficient swimmer. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:30 AM, Clinic 9:45 AM-12:15 PM
12 & Over: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
Chloe and Michael will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE & DRILLS
Freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits now will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Olympian Chloe Sutton and NCAA All-American Michael Duderstadt will lead participants through a progression of drills that will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the freestyle stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Chloe and Michael will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Chloe and Michael will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY
Did you know that the technique for swimming a fast freestyle changes depending on the distance? Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on day one.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Chloe Sutton and Michael Duderstadt will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING FREESTYLE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Chloe, Michael, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe and Michael questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Chloe and Michael swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Chloe and Michael, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!