Inver Grove Heights, MN
Comprehensive Freestyle & Backstroke Swim Camp Series
Sat, Nov, 27 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
The Grove Aquatic & Fitness Center
8055 Barbara Ave, Inver Grove Heights, MN 55077
November 27-28: High Performance Backstroke Racing Camp –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This camp consists of a 2-day camp designed for competitive swimmers to strengthen and enhance their racing performance in backstroke events! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Saturday, November 27: High Performance Backstroke Technique
Sunday, November 28: Backstroke Applied Speed
This camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the techniques required for fast racing!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (All Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1-4 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions for each age group at both camps. This camp series is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
NOVEMBER 27: HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Swimmers understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help participants compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Elite Clinicians to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. The clinicians will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
NOVEMBER 28: BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED
Swimmers will take their backstroke racing to the next level by learning different strategies for approaching any race. Elite Clinicians will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, Clinicians will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Clinicians will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by the clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge swimmers' backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their Elite Clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe the clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster swim cap for the camp.