Past Clinic: Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp
Sat, Jun, 13 2020 - Sun, Jun, 14 2020
Tupelo Aquatic Center
692 N. Veterans Memorial Blvd, Tupelo, MS 38804
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Tupelo, MS.
El Dorado Golf and Country ClubInfo
Two-Day Comprehensive Breaststroke Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH Days!
This comprehensive racing camp is focused on racing faster in every breaststroke event. The first day will cover the fundamentals of strong breaststroke technique. Sunday will focus on breaststroke specific racing skills as well as strategies for faster racing from the 50 to 200 breaststroke.
Your clinician for this camp is 2016 Olympians Carlos Claverie and Santiago Grassi as well as Olympic Trials qualifier Bryar Long! Carlos, Santiago, and Bryar will share their passion for swimming and participants will improve by focusing on the basics. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
11 & Under: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:15 AM, Clinic 12:30 PM-3:00 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will not have more than 3 to 4 swimmers per lane (max 30 in each session). We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
Carlos, Santiago, and Bryar will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is not recommended for swimmers with less than 2 years of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended for these camps without your coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Olympians Carlos Claverie and Santiago Grassi along with Olympic Trials qualifier Bryar Long will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Carlos, Santiago, and Bryar will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BREASTSTROKE APPLIED SPEED, TURNS, & FINISHES
After building a solid butterfly stroke on day 1, swimmers will then refine their racing skills and cover different strategies for faster racing. Carlos Claverie, Santiago Grassi, and Bryar Long will work with swimmers on how to develop a race plan for any breaststroke race, whether a 50, 100, or 200. Participants will focus on swimming breaststroke with speed and efficiency, as well as accelerating in and out of every wall and executive powerful pullouts.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Carlos, Santiago, and Bryar. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
- BREASTSTROKE FINISHES: Carlos, Santiago, and Bryar will work with participants to know when to take their last stroke before accelerating into the finish keeping their hips high and arms long. Swimmers will work on timing the touch perfectly with their fingertips while keeping their heads down for a faster finish.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Carlos, Santiago, and Bryar questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Carlos, Santiago, Bryar swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with three of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Carlos, Santiago, and Bryar, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!