Past Clinic: Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp
Sat, Jan, 08 2022 - Sun, Jan, 09 2022
Sloan Creek Intermediate School
440 Country Club Rd, Fairview, TX 75069
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Fairview, TX.
Southside Swim ClubInfo
Semones Family YMCAInfo
Fitter & Faster is coming back to Allen, TX for a 2-day camp in January 2022! This camp will be led by American Record Holder, Olympic Gold Medalist and Elite Clinician: Clark Smith! SAVE when you purchase a 2-day camp “Bundle” based on your swimmer’s age group.
Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp – January 8 & 9, 2022
-> DAY 1: High Performance Breaststroke Technique
-> DAY 2: Breaststroke Racing & Training Skills
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum! Session sizes are limited to no more than 30 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
12 & Under
Jan 8: Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3 PM
Jan 9: Check in 8:30 AM, Clinic 8:45-11:15 AM
13 & Over
Jan 8: Check in 3:30 PM, Clinic 3:45-6:45 PM
Jan 9: Check in 11:30 AM, Clinic 11:45-2:45 PM
This camp is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
At the highest level of swimming, breaststroke has the most varied technique. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games, you might see eight different styles of breaststroke! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. No matter your swimmer’s level, this 2-day camp will strengthen their technique, racing and training skills that will lead to faster and more efficient breaststroke races… and faster IM’s!
DAY 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE - Jan 8
We want your swimmer to establish a well-timed breaststroke. Today we will practice various drills and skills that will enable your swimmer to have flowing hips, a powerful kick and a long, flowing stroke.
- BODYLINE: A breaststroke race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. Elite breaststrokers focus on minimizing drag by “catching water” on their hands and feet as quickly as possible, so they can shoot back into a “straight bodyline” where they can glide at top speed.
- KICK: The kick creates a lot of the power in breaststroke. Swimmers need to keep their knees high in the water and snap their feet quickly around and back to create a powerful kick. Our clinicians will work with participants to strengthen their kick for the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: The name of the game in breaststroke is to create as much propulsion as possible in the pull while minimizing resistance… and then quickly getting back into a straight bodyline to establish a high speed glide. Participants at this session will focus on setting up a proper "catch" and keeping their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull. The techniques your swimmer will practice will minimize resistance and enable them to maintain forward momentum for the fastest breaststroke.
- TIMING: Fast, flowing breaststroke is the result of proper timing between a swimmer’s hands and feet. Establishing proper timing in your swimmer’s breaststroke will allow for more fluidity, power and speed. Participants in this session will learn how elite swimmers time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency and the fastest races.
DAY 2: BREASTSTROKE RACING & TRAINING SKILLS - Jan 9
On the first day of this camp swimmers worked on techniques to implement an efficient breaststroke. On Day 2 we will work on applying speed to their breaststroke! Our objective is to get your swimmer to maintain their technique with distance per stroke, tempo, and flowing speed.
- TEMPO: Tempo in breaststroke is the rate at which a swimmer can get back into the proper bodyline to establish a high-speed glide. When swimming breaststroke races, many athletes tend to take too many strokes without ever getting into the proper bodyline. At this camp we will explore different tempos that are sustainable for any distance and allow for the proper glide between strokes.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes a swimmer takes per lap, while improving technique to decrease that number, will enable them to be more efficient and even conserve energy. At this session, participants will discover how changing speeds might change their stroke-count, but should not change the effectiveness of each stroke.
- PACING: A breaststroker’s pace is going to change during a race and from distance to distance. When swimming breaststroke, your swimmer can learn to measure their pace using tempo and distance per stroke. At this session we will practice race strategy pacing for all breaststroke events.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The breaststroke pullout is an important and unique part of every breaststroke race. We will work with participants on minimizing resistance in their pull-outs and establishing maximum speed. The pullout can be used strategically, depending on the distance of the race, to cover more ground before breaking out.
- TRAINING BREASTSTROKE: At the end of this session your swimmer will do a short and fast swim set to practice everything they have learned over the past two days.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster gift!