Past Clinic: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp for Swimmers Ages 12 & Over
Sat, Apr, 29 2023 - Sun, Apr, 30 2023
Deaconess Aquatic Center
24 Don Mattingly Way, Evansville, IN 47710
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Evansville, IN.
NKU-Campus Rec CenterInfo
New Palestine High SchoolInfo
McKendree MetroRec PlexInfo
Richard Wachs Aquatic CenterInfo
Canton Family YMCAInfo
Carmel High School NatatoriumInfo
Genesis Blairwood Tennis, Swim & Fitness ClubInfo
YMCA of Huber HeightsInfo
Webster University - University Center PoolInfo
Mt. Vernon Middle SchoolInfo
Central Park SchoolInfo
Fitter & Faster is returning to Evansville, IN on April 29 & 30, 2023 to produce a two-day swim camp! This web page is specifically for swimmers ages 12 & Over. Click here for the camp for swimmers ages 9 to 11.
COMPREHENSIVE BACKSTROKE RACING CAMP (Ages 12 & Over)
DAY 1 (Saturday): High Performance Backstroke Technique
DAY 2 (Sunday): Backstroke Racing & Training Skills
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
-> Availability is limited to ensure the highest level learning experience!
-> SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle”!
SESSION START TIME FOR BOTH DAYS: Check in 12:15 PM, Camp 12:30-3:30 PM
Our top priority is to provide a world-class learning experience for all participants at all of our camps. This camp has sessions for swimmers ages 12 & over. Participants will range from one-year of competitive swimming experience to AAAA times and faster. If you are the parent of a child under the age of 12, CLICK HERE!
Over 2 days, swimmers will work with Fitter and Faster’s world-class clinicians to strengthen their backstroke technique and apply racing and training tactics that will lead to better performances in their competitions!
Day 1: High Performance Backstroke Technique (April 29)
Cultivating good habits to swim high level Backstroke begins as soon as you learn the stroke. Even if your swimmer is already in high school - it’s never too late to begin practicing techniques that will drastically improve their efficiency, power and times. Today, your swimmer will work on techniques to strengthen their bodyline, catch, kick, and pull - resulting in faster backstroke races.
- BODY LINE: A competitive swimmer’s bodyline is the key to fast swimming. The name of the game is to eliminate all extra movement of the body including even the slightest bobbing, wiggling. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient backstroke.
- ROTATION: Backstroke is fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming Backstroke has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke - resulting in faster backstroke!
- KICK: A swimmer’s kick is the motor behind their Backstroke! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review at the camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- PULL: Just like in freestyle, the pull in backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. The clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling the swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
Day 2: Backstroke Racing and Training Skills (April 30)
On Day 1, participants practiced high performance backstroke techniques. Now, let’s leverage these skills to develop strong racing and training habits. Learning to prioritize tempo and length of stroke, while maintaining efficiency has a huge impact on maximizing speed in backstroke.
- LENGTH OF STROKE: A long stroke will enable your swimmer to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. Whereas, a short stroke is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for fast swimming.
- TEMPO: Tempo is the rate at which a swimmer is moving their arms and legs. When sprinting short races many swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will explore different tempos that suit your swimmer for their backstroke races.
- PACING/CONTROL: A swimmer’s tempo will change depending on the backstroke race that they are swimming. It may also change at different points during the same race! Your elite clinician will teach participants how to manipulate their tempo, speed and energy at different points in a race. This is called Pacing or “Control”.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: The fastest part of every single race is the start - that’s no different for backstroke! Your swimmer is going to learn and practice starting a high performance backstroke race. We’re going to work on a “clean”, fast water entry in which the athlete carries the momentum from the start into their streamline, underwater dolphin kicking and breakout.
- SPEED SET: At the end of this session your swimmer will do a short and fast swim set to practice everything they have learned over the past two days.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!
Search all of our clinics...or request a clinic in your area