Past Clinic: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Gunderson High School
622 Gaundabert Ln, San Jose, CA 95136
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of San Jose, CA.
Willow Glen High SchoolInfo
Sonoma Valley High School Aquatic CenterInfo
Crow Canyon Country ClubInfo
Rusch Swimming PoolInfo
George F Haines International Swim CenterInfo
George F Haines International Swim CenterInfo
Bay Club PleasantonInfo
Diamon Hills Sports Club and SpaInfo
Baler Aquatic CenterInfo
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day Comprehensive Backstroke Swim Camp in San Jose, CA on August 27 & 28, 2022! The lead clinician for this camp is Elite Clinician and Olympic Gold medalist and former world record holder in the 100 backstroke, Nick Thoman. SAVE when you purchase a "Full Camp Bundle" for your swimmer's age group.
COMPREHENSIVE BACKSTROKE RACING CAMP
DAY 1: High Performance Backstroke Technique
DAY 2: Backstroke Racing & Training Skills w/ Backstroke Starts
**Due to high demand, we have added BONUS SESSIONS for swimmers ages 14 & under!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum! Availability is limited to ensure the highest level of learning experience!
SESSION START TIMES FOR BOTH DAYS
12 & Under: Check in 8 AM, Camp 8:15-10:45 AM
13 & Over: Check in 11:30 AM, Camp 11:45-2:45 PM
Bonus (14 & under): Check in 3:30 PM, 3:45-6:45 PM
Over 2 days, swimmers will work with Fitter and Faster’s world-class clinicians to strengthen their backstroke technique and apply racing and training tactics that will lead to better performances in their competitions! The lead clinician for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist and former world record holder in the 100 backstroke, Nick Thoman!
Day 1: High Performance Backstroke Technique (Aug 27)
Cultivating good habits to swim high level Backstroke begins as soon as you learn the stroke. Even if your swimmer is already in high school - it’s never too late to begin practicing techniques that will drastically improve their efficiency, power and times. Today, your swimmer will work on techniques to strengthen their bodyline, catch, kick, and pull - resulting in faster backstroke races.
- BODY LINE: A competitive swimmer’s bodyline is the key to fast swimming. The name of the game is to eliminate all extra movement of the body including even the slightest bobbing, wiggling. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient backstroke.
- ROTATION: Backstroke is fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming Backstroke has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke - resulting in faster backstroke!
- KICK: A swimmer’s kick is the motor behind their Backstroke! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review at the camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- PULL: Just like in freestyle, the pull in backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. The clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling the swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
Day 2: Backstroke Racing and Training Skills (Aug 28)
On Day 1, participants practiced high performance backstroke techniques. Now, let’s leverage these skills to develop strong racing and training habits. Learning to prioritize tempo and length of stroke, while maintaining efficiency has a huge impact on maximizing speed in backstroke.
- LENGTH OF STROKE: A long stroke will enable your swimmer to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. Whereas, a short stroke is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for fast swimming.
- TEMPO: Tempo is the rate at which a swimmer is moving their arms and legs. When sprinting short races many swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will explore different tempos that suit your swimmer for their backstroke races.
- PACING/CONTROL: A swimmer’s tempo will change depending on the backstroke race that they are swimming. It may also change at different points during the same race! Your elite clinician will teach participants how to manipulate their tempo, speed and energy at different points in a race. This is called Pacing or “Control”.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: The fastest part of every single race is the start - that’s no different for backstroke! Your swimmer is going to learn and practice starting a high performance backstroke race. We’re going to work on a “clean”, fast water entry in which the athlete carries the momentum from the start into their streamline, underwater dolphin kicking and breakout.
- SPEED SET: At the end of this session your swimmer will do a short and fast swim set to practice everything they have learned over the past two days.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster GIFT!