Past Clinic: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Fri, Aug, 28 2020 - Sun, Aug, 30 2020
COM Aquatics, INC.
3003 North A Street, Midland, TX 79705
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Midland, TX.
Three-Day Comprehensive Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all three days!
This three-day swim camp is focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on developing a strong and efficient backstroke technique. On Saturday, participants will refine their racing skills by developing their backstroke starts, turns, and finishes. Then on the last day, participants will take their backstroke to the next level by learning different strategies for racing as well as a training set.
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp are National Champions John Shebat and Amy Bilquist! John and Amy are known for their detailed technical knowledge and is exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Friday, August 28
11 & Under: Check in 4:00 PM, Clinic 4:15 PM-6:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 6:30 PM, Clinic 6:45 PM-8:30 PM
Saturday, August 29
11 & Under: Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:15 PM-2:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 2:30 PM, Clinic 2:45 PM-4:30 PM
Sunday, August 30
11 & Under: Check in 10:00 AM, Clinic 10:15 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-2:45 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will not have more than 3 swimmers per lane (max 36 in each session). We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
John and Amy will lead three sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (FRIDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with National Champions John Shebat and Amy Bilquist to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful body rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Your swimmer will learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmers’ knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Maintaining maximum propulsion and proper kicking technique will greatly improve your swimmer’s backstroke.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
DAY 2 (SATURDAY): BACKSTROKE STARTS, TURNS, & FINISHES
Mastering the details of a race makes the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so maximizing this momentum is a critical way to drop time. Practicing an explosive start, compact flip turn, and a well-timed finish will help your swimmer drop time in any backstroke event!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. John Shebat and Amy Bilquist will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BACKSTROKE FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and KNOWING THEIR COUNT! Then they'll use their core and arms to get through the turn. They will practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. John will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- BACKSTROKE FINISHES: The backstroke finish is the hardest finish to perfect. Swimmers will work with John and Amy to master their count and reach back with a well-timed dolphin kick. This aggressive lunge will help your swimmer get their hand on the wall faster and more efficiently!
DAY 3 (SUNDAY): BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
Take your backstroke racing to the next level by practicing different strategies for approaching any race. National Champions John Shebat and Amy Bilquist will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on the first two days and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will also include a training set designed to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed earlier in the camp!
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, John and Amy will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- SPRINT VS DISTANCE BACKSTROKE: Backstroke technique changes dramatically from a 50 to 200 yard race! John and Amy will work with swimmers on how to prioritize their turnover in sprint events, as well as how to change their rotation and pull for longer events. These technique changes will help your swimmer excel in any backstroke race!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by John, Amy, and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask John and Amy questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe John and Amy swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with John and Amy, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!