Past Clinic: Comprehensive Backstroke Racing Camp
Sat, Nov, 30 2019 - Sun, Dec, 01 2019
4850 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Lawrenceville, GA 30044
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Lawrenceville, GA.
Columbus Aquatic CenterInfo
Fargo North High SchoolInfo
Cumming Aquatic CenterInfo
Two-Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
This is a two-day high performance swim camp focused on racing faster in every backstroke race (plus improve in the IM!). The first day will focus on stroke technique, backstroke starts, and underwater dolphin kicking. The second day covers applied speed, backstroke turns, and finishes.
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary and NCAA All-Americans Aly Tetzloff and Kyle Darmondy! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
11 & Under
Saturday: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 9:15 AM, Clinic 9:30 AM-12:00 PM
12 & Over
Saturday: Check in 4:15 PM, Clinic 4:30 PM-7:30 PM
Sunday: Check in 1:15 PM, Clinic 1:30 PM-4:30 PM
This Camp is sold out. Upcoming GA Camps:
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Tyler, Aly, and Kyle will lead two sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE, STARTS, & UNDERWATERS
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force. Swimmers will also learn drills to develop an explosive backstroke start and emphasize the importance of powerful underwaters off every start and turn.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary, Aly Tetzloff, and Kyle Darmondy to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful body rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Your swimmer will learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmers’ knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Maintaining maximum propulsion and proper kicking technique will greatly improve your swimmer’s backstroke.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position utilizing the backstroke ledge with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Tyler Aly, and Kyle will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED, TURNS, & FINISHES
Mastering the details of a race makes the difference between a good swim and a great one. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so maximizing this momentum is a critical way to drop time. Practicing a compact flip turn, explosive breakout, and a well-timed finish will help your swimmer drop time in any backstroke event. Swimmers will learn how to balance tempo with distance per stroke to be able to practice different strategies in any backstroke race!
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- BACKSTROKE FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and KNOWING THEIR COUNT! Then they'll use their core and arms to get through the turn. They will practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Tyler, Aly, and Kyle will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- BACKSTROKE FINISHES: The backstroke finish is the hardest finish to perfect. Swimmers will work with Tyler, Aly, and Kyle to master their count and reach back with a well-timed dolphin kick. This aggressive lunge will help your swimmer get their hand on the wall faster and more efficiently!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler, Aly, and Kyle questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Tyler, Aly, and Kyle swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler, Aly, and Kyle, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!