Past Clinic: Backstroke & Butterfly Technique Swim Camp
Sat, Apr, 15 2023 - Sun, Apr, 16 2023
Charles W. Baker High School
29 E Oneida St, Baldwinsville, NY 13027
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Baldwinsville, NY.
East Longmeadow High SchoolInfo
Malvern Preparatory SchoolInfo
Glacier Hills AssociationInfo
Lafayette College Pool - Kirby Sports CenterInfo
Misericordia University- Anderson Center poolInfo
Waverly High SchoolInfo
College of Staten Island - CUNYInfo
Waterford High School PoolInfo
Hunterdon County YMCA - Deer Path BranchInfo
Chealsea Piers ConnecticutInfo
Livonia High SchoolInfo
Vassar College- Kresge PoolInfo
David M. Hallman III Aquatics CenterInfo
Lititz Rec CenterInfo
Madison Community Pool (Outdoors)Info
Ithaca College Aquatics PavillionInfo
Lebanon YMCA - A.I. Hanford CenterInfo
Victor Aquatics CenterInfo
Victor Aquatics CenterInfo
DuPont Country ClubInfo
DuPont Country ClubInfo
Kiski School - Ross Athletic CenterInfo
Bennington Rec. Center PoolInfo
Mexico High SchoolInfo
Orville H Platt High SchoolInfo
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day swim camp at the Charles W. Baker High School in Baldwinsville, NY on April 15 & 16, 2023!
FAST BACKSTROKE & BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE CAMP
DAY 1 (Saturday): Backstroke Day!
DAY 2 (Sunday): Butterfly Day!
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
-> Availability is limited to 20 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
-> SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle” for your swimmer’s age group!
SESSION START TIMES FOR BOTH DAYS:
Ages 9 to 11: Check in 8:30 AM, Camp 8:45-11:15 AM
Ages 12 & Over: Check in 12 PM, Camp 12:15-3:15 PM
Our top priority is to provide a world-class learning experience for all participants at all of our camps. This camp has sessions for swimmers ages 9 to 11 and 12 & older. Participants will range from one-year of competitive swimming experience to AAAA times and faster. If you are the parent of a child under the age of 9 and would like for your child to be considered for the younger sessions of this camp, please complete this questionnaire.
Over two days, your swimmer, no matter their level, will work with our elite clinicians to improve their backstroke & butterfly technique!
Day 1: Backstroke Technique (April 15)
Cultivating good habits to swim high level Backstroke begins as soon as you learn the stroke. Even if your swimmer is already in high school - it’s never too late to begin practicing techniques that will drastically improve their efficiency, power and times. Today, your swimmer will work on techniques to strengthen their bodyline, catch, kick, and pull - resulting in faster backstroke races.
- BODY LINE: A competitive swimmer’s bodyline is the key to fast swimming. The name of the game is to eliminate all extra movement of the body including even the slightest bobbing, wiggling. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient backstroke.
- ROTATION: Backstroke is fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming Backstroke has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke - resulting in faster backstroke!
- KICK: A swimmer’s kick is the motor behind their Backstroke! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review at the camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- PULL: Just like in freestyle, the pull in backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. The clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling the swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
DAY 2: BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE (April 16)
We want your swimmer to establish a rhythmic butterfly. Today we will practice various drills and skills that will enable your swimmer to have flowing hips and a long, more powerful butterfly stroke.
- BODYLINE: A butterfly race is going to be fastest with a proper bodyline. Even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference. As swimmers mature in the sport and grow physically, their body position shifts and bad habits can emerge. Participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core to have a strong foundation for better technique - creating a full-body connection for more hydrodynamic and efficient butterfly strokes.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two kicks to propel the swimmer towards the other end of the pool! If the kicks are properly timed and equally strong, they can positively impact your swimmer’s efficiency and stroke timing! Your swimmer will work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes allow swimmers to have a more efficient and fluid butterfly. The pull in butterfly keeps a swimmer accelerating forward. Your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm, “the catch”, enabling the swimmers to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the stroke keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
- BREATH: The timing of the breath in butterfly has a direct relationship on a swimmer’s body position, pull, kick and TIMES! At this camp, we will work with participants on breathing with their chin low to the water... and WHEN to breathe in their stroke cycle so that they develop the most efficient stroke possible!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!
Search all of our clinics...or request a clinic in your area