Past Clinic: Allegheny Mountain Swimming Age Group Select Camp
Sat, Nov, 10 2018 - Sun, Nov, 11 2018
Fox Chapel Area High School
611 Field Club Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Mt. Lebanon High SchoolInfo
Pine-Richland High SchoolInfo
Congratulations on being invited to this exclusive swim camp!
This is a two day swim camp produced in partnership with Allegheny Mountain Swimming! Swimmers are invited to attend by invitation from the LSC only.
Leading each session is Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary and elite FFT clinician Andrew Appleby! They will be in the water leading all 4 sessions and providing feedback to the participants.
Thanks to the generosity of Allegheny Mountain Swimming LSC, invited swimmers will pay only $40 for this camp!
Make sure to use the promo code AMS-CAMP to SAVE $359.
This camp is by invitation only. Only the top swimmers ages 11, 12, 13, & 14 of each gender are invited.
A SNACK WILL BE PROVIDED!
Saturday Session 1: EXPLOSIVE DIVES & UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- DIVES: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Tyler will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tyler Clary is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
Saturday Session 2: EFFICIENT, ELITE FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common including the body position, rotation, and an early press back into the water! Working on both strokes together deepens a swimmer's understanding of the importance of these aspects. Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to race faster in both free and back with Tyler Clary!
- FREESTYLE: Participants will learn how to hold a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Tyler Clary will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Sunday Session 3: RHYTHMIC & FAST BUTTERFLY & BREASTSTROKE
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar due to the importance of rhythm and timing! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that a swimmer's arms and legs aren't fighting each other and they can swim more connected and with more efficiency!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Tyler will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Sunday Session 4: PRECISE & QUICK OPEN TURNS, FLIP TURNS, & FINISHES
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn or into the finish! Even at Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of their turns and finishes! These are both opportunities for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary will teach your swimmer how to improve their turns and finishes so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Tyler will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You don't turn around; you spin backwards! Spinning backwards enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. Turning around is a process of stopping and going again. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down while perfectly timing their finish to hit the wall in a way that is as efficient as possible .
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Tyler's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!