Past Clinic: Adult Technique Camp
Sat, Mar, 23 2019 - Sun, Mar, 24 2019
The St. James Sports, Wellness and Entertainment Complex
6805 Industrial Road, Springfield, VA 22151
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Springfield, VA.
Lower Moreland Sr High SchoolInfo
Hollidaysburg Area Senior High SchoolInfo
Adult Technique Camp (Springfield, VA) – Adults Only
No more than 36 participants per session!
This Technique Camp consists of 5 individual clinic sessions over two days to improve ALL ASPECTS of participants’ racing. There will be 4 sessions for each stroke plus turns and there will also be a session for starts and underwater dolphin kicking.
At each session there will be a clinician making corrections to the participants. We will also use video to exemplify elite mechanics and race strategy. Participants will complete the camp as stronger, more confident swimmers… and with the understanding that big improvements come from small, consistent changes.
Leading each session will be five-time Olympian Brett Hawke! Brett has been an Olympian two-times as as swimmer and three-times as a coach! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE! Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
This camp consists of 5 clinic sessions for swimmers ages 18 & over.
Session 1: Butterfly and Butterfly Open Turns
In the first session of this Adult Camp, Elite Clinician Brett Hawke will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterflyers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Brett and Tom on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow you to have a more efficient butterfly. Brett will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes that swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
- BUTTERFLY OPEN TURNS: Begin setting up the butterfly turn before you even reach the flags by timing and lengthening your strokes so that you can touch the wall with arms extended before initiating the turn. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff.
Session 2: Backstroke and Backstroke Flip Turns
You may already understand the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help you compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Elite Clinician Brett to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmer's knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke. This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Brett will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- BACKSTROKE TURNS: Even elite swimmers struggle to properly time their flip turn EVERY TIME! Work with Brett to time your backstroke flip turn so that you can maintain your momentum through the turn and into a powerful pushoff.
Session 3: Starts and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke along will share their experience on how they found time to practice and improve their start both in and out of the water and share some of their most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of power. Brett will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Tom is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in helping swimmers unlock their potential in this important skill.
Session 4: Breaststroke and Breaststroke Open Turns
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your breaststroke timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. You have the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Brett will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Brett will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage you to keep your hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
- BREASTSTROKE OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn!
Session 5: Freestyle and Freestyle Flip Turns
Freestyle is the stroke that you swim more than any other. Creating good freestyle habits NOW will not only help your swimmer race fasster, but it will also help prevent injury in the future. Elite Clinicians Brett will be in the water leading participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them create good habits and deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will renforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from our two Elite Clincians.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Brett will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Pactice drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Brett will show you swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
- FREESTYLE FLIP TURNS: Learn how to carry your momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Brett will give you drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
Each session, swimmers and parents are invited to ask Brett questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Learn a progression of drills designed to help your swimmer achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Get your heartrate up with one of the best swimmers in the world and watch his near-flawless technique - achieved by practicing the same drills both he and Brett will teach you.
Take a photo while wearing Brett's medals, get autographs, and receive a special gift from our sponsors!