2023 Powell, OH Summer Swim Camp
Powell Aquatic Center
168 E Olentangy St, Powell, OH 43065
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day swim camp at the Powell Aquatic Center in Powell, Ohio June 1 & 2, 2023.
HIGH PERFORMANCE SWIMMING CAMP
The best swimmers in the world have discovered the balance between stroke length and tempo for their body and the specific race they are swimming. At the High Performance Swimming Camp, participants will work to develop these same skills that establish stronger and faster technique across all strokes.
-> Camp Day 1: Developing Efficient & Powerful Technique
-> Camp Day 2: Swimming Faster!
-> Video Filming & Analysis: As an additional option, on Thursday afternoon, swimmers can get the same video analysis as the Pros! Read below for details.
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for details on the camp and the Video Analysis Session!
-> Availability in the High Performance Swimming Camp is limited to 24 participants to ensure the best learning experience
-> SAVE when you purchase a “Bundle” for your swimmer's age group!
Select a curriculum below
HIGH PERFORMANCE SWIMMING CAMP - June 1 & 2
The best swimmers make swimming fast look “effortless”. They have discovered the balance of stroke length and tempo for their body and the race they are swimming. Going fast is not just about moving your arms and legs as quickly as you can! One Day 1 of the “High Performance Swimming Camp”, participants will develop the individual pieces to a stronger stroke. Then, one Day 2, participants will connect those pieces to swim efficiently and experiment to find the best balance of power and speed for them.
- DAY 1: DEVELOPING EFFICIENT & POWERFUL TECHNIQUE (June 1): Your swimmer will learn to build their stroke from the inside out - beginning with the solid foundation of great body position and adding the propulsive force of the arms and legs. Small shifts in each of these areas can lead to big gains in speed and efficiency.
- Body Position: A competitive swimmer’s body position is the key to fast swimming. Most swimmers are NOT hydrodynamic in the water - and that has a big effect on how fast they “allow” themselves to swim - especially as they get older. Things including head position, timing and breathing mechanics can easily throw a swimmer’s body position off - especially when they are fatigued. At this camp we will work to find the right body position for your swimmer.
- Kick: A fast kick is the motor behind a swimmer's stroke! Similarly, an ineffective kick can actually slow a swimmer down. Participants will polish their kicking to become stronger and faster. Your swimmer will learn about both the technique and timing of each kick. The clinicians will work with the swimmers to combine their new and improved kick with great body position to move more efficiently through the water and prepare to add a powerful pull to their stroke.
- Maximizing Power: The only way to generate maximum power in your stroke is by “holding” as much water as possible. The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water at the top of every stroke, also known as "the catch. At this camp your clinicians will work with your swimmer to ensure they are grabbing onto and holding water throughout your stroke.
- DAY 2: SWIMMING FASTER (June 2): Your swimmer will learn how their race time is largely determined by their distance per stroke and tempo. The time you see on the scoreboard is a product of how many strokes your swimmer takes per lap multiplied by how quickly they take those strokes: TIME = Stroke Count X Stroke Rate. Your swimmer will work on both elements of the equation and experiment with different combinations to discover what works best for them.
- Distance Per Stroke: One way to develop and demonstrate efficiency is to take fewer strokes on each length. Improving technique to decrease the number of strokes your swimmer takes will enable them to go further faster. The clinicians will work with swimmers on how to get the maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke and reduce their stroke count.
- Tempo: Once a swimmer improves their distance per stroke we can now speed up their movements (increasing their ‘tempo’ or frequency of each stroke) to develop even more speed - THIS IS WHEN TIMES REALLY DROP! When sprinting short races young swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will find the appropriate tempo to maximize their own personal speed. Learning the range of tempos at which to perform each stroke allows you to have success in any event!
- "Overspeed Training": Practice how to swim with good technique at speeds faster than you’ll ever go in a race with the assistance of fins (12 & younger) and fins and paddles (13 + older. We will utilize overspeed drills for full 25’s, in and out of turns, in their breakouts and finishes. Remember: Bring your fins and hand paddles (depending on your age group)!
- "Swimming Golf": Learn this fun game which tests the swimmer’s efficiency. Swim a 25 or 50 counting your strokes and noticing your time. Add the two numbers (strokes + time) together to find your score. Low score wins!
ELITE VIDEO ANALYSIS - June 1
Sign up to get the same video analysis as the Pros! Competitive age group swimmers and adults will have their strokes professionally filmed at strategic angles below the surface! After filming, your video will be analyzed with voice-over and graphics on the actual video by An Elite Swim Coach!
- BENEFITS OF GETTING FILMED: Since so much of the stroke happens below water – it is incredibly important to see what’s going on below the surface! Small adjustments to your stroke can lead to big time drops! This is your opportunity to get beautiful footage of your stroke and get analysis from an expert… and you can review with your coach as well!
- ANALYSIS: Our Fitter and Faster expert will use a video analysis application to record their comments on your technique. They will use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on the swimmer's video all while explaining where opportunities for improvement are. Each stroke will have approximately 3 to 5 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- DRILL RECOMMENDATIONS: You will receive recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer.
- SIGN UP: Select to have one stroke filmed. Or, SAVE by choosing to have all four strokes filmed. The "multi-stroke options" are for individual swimmers and cannot be split.
- ORDER NUMBER: You will receive an e-mail approximately one week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain your order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule.
- ARRIVING AT THE POOL: When you arrive at the pool, you will be greeted by Fitter & Faster staff who will provide you instructions on the filming process.
- WARM UP: Participants will have an opportunity to warm up before filming.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have you swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke will take about three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle below the water to get an accurate view of your technique.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 14 days of the camp. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email for you to keep!
START TIMES FOR SWIM CAMP:
- Ages 9 to 11: Check in 9 AM. Camp: 9:15-11:45 AM
- Ages 12 & over: Check in 12:30 PM. Camp: 12:45-3:45 PM
- Suggested Participants: Our top priority is to provide a world-class learning experience for all participants at all of our camps. This camp has sessions for swimmers ages 9 to 11 and 12 & older. Participants will range from one-year of competitive swimming experience to AAAA times and faster. If you are the parent of a child under the age of 9 and would like for your child to be considered for the younger sessions of this camp, please complete this questionnaire.
- Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes
- You will receive an email a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed.
- Swimmer's scheduled time will be between 4:30 and 8:30 pm
- Elite Video Analysis is for ALL swimmers ages 8 & Over, including adults!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Drew Loy is an Ohio State University Alumni, two-time Big Ten Champion, and an Olympic Trials qualifier. He brings energy, joy, and a wealth of knowledge to every camp that he leads. You don't want to miss the chance to work with Drew!
Inquisitive, Educated Swimmers are Faster Swimmers! Sign up today!