Sprinting & Fast 50’s for 11 & Under Swimmers!
Tue, Dec, 27 2022 - Wed, Dec, 28 2022
Blair Regional YMCA
1111 Hewit St, Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day swim camp in Hollidaysburg, PA on December 27 & 28, 2022! This web page is specifically for swimmers ages 11 & under. Click here for the 12 & over web page.
SPRINTING & FAST 50's SWIM CAMP
-> DAY 1 (Tuesday): Establishing Speed!
-> DAY 2 (Wednesday): Racing Skills!
Scroll down for details on the curriculum! Session sizes are limited to only 24 participants to allow for the best learning experience.
SAVE when you purchase a camp "bundle" or you can purchase individual tickets!
START TIME FOR BOTH DAYS: Check in 9 AM, Camp 9:15-11:45 AM
THIS CAMP PAGE IS FOR AGES 11 & UNDER -- Looking for the 12 & Over page? CLICK HERE!
Swimmers ages 11 & under are fortunate to still have 50's to race in every stroke at just about every swim meet! Now is the time for young swimmers to establish and cultivate habits to swim their shorter races as fast as possible with good technique that will position them for success as they mature.
Day 1: Establishing Speed (Dec 27)
At this session your swimmer will practice the essential components to high performance sprinting.
- BODY POSITION: A competitive swimmer’s body position is the key to fast swimming. Most swimmers are NOT hydrodynamic in the water - and that has a big effect on how fast they “allow” themselves to swim - especially as they get older. Let’s find the right body position for your swimmer.
- LENGTH OF STROKE: Lengthening their stroke will enable your swimmer to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. Whereas a short stroke is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for fast swimming.
- TEMPO: When sprinting short races young swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will find the appropriate tempo to maximize their own personal speed.
- SPRINTING APPLICATION: Apply the skills you learned today to swimming “all out” on top of the water with efficiency and power. As with all the other segments of this camp, the clinicians will provide feedback for your swimmer to take home and apply at upcoming practices and meets.
Day 2: Racing Skills (Dec 28)
On Day 2, your swimmer will apply the skills that we practiced on the first day of this camp to important segments of every sprint race, including the moment your swimmer pushes off the wall; breakouts; finishes and all out sprinting!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate to explode into each lap.
- SPRINTING APPLICATION: On Day 1 your swimmer worked on body position, tempo and length of stroke. Today we are going to apply those skills to swimming “all out” on top of the water with efficiency and power.
- WALLS, WALLS, WALLS!: Approaching the wall at top speed in preparation for the fastest turn is vital. Swimmers will work on techniques to get in and out of every wall faster!
- FINISHES: Dropping time and even winning or moving up a few spots in the results can all come down to the last stroke! A well-timed finish at full speed, with full-arm extension and head down can make a difference of up to a full second in a race! Your swimmer is going to learn how to take advantage of the finish to drop time!
- SPRINTING APPLICATION: Swimmers at this session will work on applying their newly developed skills during racing scenarios. As with all the other segments of this camp, the clinicians will provide feedback for your swimmer to take home and apply at upcoming practices and meets.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster GIFT!