Past Clinic: Explosive Starts, Under-Waters and Sprinting!
Sun, May, 01 2022
Salvation Army Kroc Center
424 Westfield St, Greenville, SC 424 Westfield St
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Greenville, SC.
Mountain View Aquatic CenterInfo
Cumming Aquatic CenterInfo
Middle Tyger YMCAInfo
Opelika Sportsplex & AquaticsInfo
Country Club of CharlestonInfo
Charlotte Country Day - Klein Aquatic CenterInfo
Mecklenburg County Aquatic CenterInfo
Fitter & Faster is returning to Greenville, SC for a 2-day swim camp! This camp consists of 4 sessions – all for competitive swimmers Ages 11 & older. SAVE when you purchase the 4-session “Bundle” or sign up for individual sessions!
EXPLOSIVE STARTS, UNDER-WATERS & SPRINTING! – April 30 & May 1, 2022
-> Session 1 (April 30): Explosive Starts!
-> Session 2 (April 30): The Fifth Stroke – Underwaters
-> Session 3 (May 1): Establishing Speed In Your Swims
-> Session 4 (May 1): Racing Skills
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session times for both days!
Sessions 1 & 3: Check in 8:45 AM, Camp 9-11:15 AM
Sessions 2 & 4: Check in 12:15 PM, Camp 12:30-2:45 PM
Swimmers younger than 11 years old are not invited to this swim camp.
Over 2 days, participants will work with our world-class clinicians to finesse and strengthen the fastest parts of every single race: starts, underwater dolphin kicking, breakouts and sprinting! The most elite swimmers in the world are constantly working to improve these skills so that they can cover the most "ground" in their races with the greatest amount of speed and efficiency! Attend all 4 sessions for maximum learning!
Session 1: EXPLOSIVE STARTS! (April 30)
The better a swimmer’s technique is off the starting block, the more speed they will carry into the water!
- BLOCK STARTS: To ensure an explosive start, a swimmer needs to set themselves up properly on the block. The elite clinicians will work with participants on the optimal positioning of your swimmer’s entire body to allow for a quick reaction time and optimal speed.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS & WATER ENTRY: Your swimmer is going to learn and practice starting a high performance backstroke race. We’re going to work on a “clean”, fast water entry in which the athlete carries the momentum from the start into their streamline, underwater dolphin kicking and breakout.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: In relays, reaction time is crucial! At this camp your swimmer will learn skills that the best swimmers in the world use to time the “exchange” just right! If we react too quickly, we’ll start before the other swimmer finishes - and we’ll get disqualified. If we start too slow, we can lose our positioning in a race! Learning the proper technique for a well-timed start and an explosive relay dive will make your swimmer a valuable teammate.
Session 2: THE FIFTH STROKE - UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING (April 30)
Why do elite swimmers have faster times in “short course” pools than in “long course” pools? It’s the power they’re able to generate from the walls, leading into the fastest sequence in every lap of a race: streamline -> underwater dolphin kick -> breakout!
- STREAMLINE: The streamline - if done properly - will be the fastest a swimmer travels while in the water. Proper streamlines are even faster than underwater dolphin kicking. Even the most elite swimmers in the world are constantly working on improving their streamline. Your swimmer will get tips to improve their streamline and a better appreciation of what they need to do on every single wall in practice and in races.
- INITIATING UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Elite swimmers want to maximize their streamline on every single lap. So, they don’t want to start their underwater dolphin kicking while they’re still achieving maximum speed in their streamline. They also don’t want to start the underwater dolphin kicking after their streamline has begun to slow. Your swimmer is going to learn how to time when to begin their underwater dolphin kicking.
- POWERFUL UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: There are a few different techniques that swimmers use when underwater dolphin kicking. The common theme of these techniques is that the best swimmers kick up and down with equal power. We will show your swimmer the different techniques that elite swimmers use and teach them how to implement.
- NUMBER OF UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKS: Figuring out the optimal number of kicks off each wall, for each race, is essential to fast swimming. Elite swimmers want to spend only the absolute necessary amount of time underwater to establish speed with each length. They want to avoid losing their breath and taking weak kicks.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the speed created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into each lap.
Session 3: Establishing Speed (May 1)
At this session your swimmer will practice the essential components to high performance sprinting.
- BODY POSITION: A competitive swimmer’s body position is the key to fast swimming. Most swimmers are NOT hydrodynamic in the water - and that has a big effect on how fast they “allow” themselves to swim - especially as they get older. Let’s find the right body position for your swimmer.
- LENGTH OF STROKE: Lengthening their stroke will enable your swimmer to “catch” and hold onto more water to propel them as they swim. Whereas a short stroke is inefficient and not sustainable for very long. The clinicians will work with participants on this important skill for fast swimming.
- TEMPO: When sprinting short races young swimmers often tend to take too many strokes (“spin their wheels”) and not “hold onto the water”. At this camp we will find the appropriate tempo to maximize their own personal speed.
- SPRINTING APPLICATION: Apply the skills you learned today to swimming “all out” on top of the water with efficiency and power. As with all the other segments of this camp, the clinicians will provide feedback for your swimmer to take home and apply at upcoming practices and meets.
Session 4: Racing Skills (May 1)
On Day 2, session 4 your swimmer will apply the skills that we practiced on the first day of this camp to important segments of every sprint race, including the moment your swimmer pushes off the wall; breakouts; finishes and all out sprinting!
- SPRINTING APPLICATION: In the previous session, your swimmer worked on body position, tempo and length of stroke. During session 4, we are going to apply those skills to swimming “all out” on top of the water with efficiency and power.
- WALLS, WALLS, WALLS!: Approaching the wall at top speed in preparation for the fastest turn is vital. Swimmers will work on techniques to get in and out of every wall faster!
- FINISHES: Dropping time and even winning or moving up a few spots in the results can all come down to the last stroke! A well-timed finish at full speed, with full-arm extension and head down can make a difference of up to a full second in a race! Your swimmer is going to learn how to take advantage of the finish to drop time!
- RACE SCENARIOS: Swimmers at this session will work on applying their newly developed skills during racing scenarios. As with all the other segments of this camp, the clinicians will provide feedback for your swimmer to take home and apply at upcoming practices and meets.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster GIFT!