Santa Clarita, CA
Past Clinic: 2022 Freestyle & Backstroke Technique Camp
Sat, May, 14 2022 - Sun, May, 15 2022
Seco Canyon Pool
27285 Seco Canyon Rd, Santa Clarita, CA 91354
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Santa Clarita, CA.
Fontana Aquatic Club (FAC)Info
Fontana Aquatic Club (FAC)Info
Fitter & Faster is producing a 2-day swim camp in Santa Clarita, CA on May 14 & 15, 2022! This camp is being led by Olympic Gold Medalist and 12-year Elite Veteran Clinician for Fitter & Faster, Nick Thoman. Nick has been leading camps for Fitter & Faster with exceptional results since we were founded in 2009 – your swimmers are in for a terrific learning experience! SAVE when you purchase the “Full Camp Bundle” for your swimmer’s age group!
HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE CAMP
-> DAY 1 (Saturday): Freestyle Technique
-> DAY 2 (Sunday): Backstroke Technique
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum! Session sizes are limited to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Saturday (May 14):
11 & Under: Check in 12 PM, Camp 12:15-2:45 PM
12 & Over: Check in 3:15 PM, Camp 3:30-6:30 PM
Sunday (May 15):
11 & Under: Check in 8 AM, Camp 8:15-10:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 11:15 AM, Camp 11:30-2:30 PM
This camp is designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same body position, posture, rotation, and an early “catch” to move down the pool with efficiency and speed. They are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso around their spine. Over two days, your swimmer, no matter their level, will improve their freestyle and backstroke technique, racing and training skills!
- DAY 1: Freestyle Technique & Drills (Saturday, May 14)
- DAY 2: Backstroke Technique & Drills (Sunday, May 15)
- Bodyline: On each day of this camp, participants will learn and practice proper posture and engagement of their core for better technique in freestyle and backstroke. Participants will learn how even the slightest adjustment of the chin, neck, and/or back can make a huge difference in creating more hydrodynamic and efficient strokes - for faster swimming!
- Rotation: Freestyle and backstroke are fastest and most efficient when a swimmer’s body is “rotating” around their spine with each stroke. This part of swimming both strokes has a big effect on maintaining a proper bodyline. Participants will practice activating their core muscles to form a powerful connection from head to toe with every stroke they take! On Day 1 we will work on rotation skills for Freestyle and on Day 2 rotation skills for backstroke.
- Kicking: While similar, the kick is different in freestyle and backstroke. In both strokes the kick is the motor behind their races! There are obviously proper and improper ways to kick which we will review on each day of this camp. Just as important, however, is practicing the complexities of how and when swimmers need to “shift gears” in their legs to become stronger and faster racers.
- Pull: The pull in both freestyle and backstroke keeps a swimmer balanced and accelerating forward. Essentially the best swimmers are creating a paddle with every stroke. On each day of this camp, your clinicians will work with participants to establish an early vertical forearm “the catch”, enabling your swimmer to put immediate pressure back on the water. Properly completing the freestyle and backstroke arm-pull keeps the swimmer moving forward efficiently and fast.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster GIFT!