TURN IT UP
Sat, Apr, 28 2018 - Sun, Apr, 29 2018
Glenbrook North High School
2300 Shermer Road, Northbrook, IL 60062
Your swimmer’s best opportunity to drop time is at the turn. At this high performance swim clinic, Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith will be in the water teaching your swimmer the proper technique for FASTER flip turns, underwater dolphin kicking, and breakouts!
At this swim clinic, there will be 4 sessions designed specifically for the different age groups to focus on important skills and techniques for racing faster. Two of the sessions are already SOLD OUT! Two sessions still have a few spots remaining, but limited space. Sign up today!
Beginner Session with Clark Smith and Andrew Appleby
Designed for any child that is taking swim lessons and knows at least 1-2 strokes, but isn't swimming in swim meets yet. This session is designed to teach them the basics of turns, streamlines, and the underwater dolphin kick.
- Flip Turns: Turning in swimming is one of the more challenging and athletic skills! At this session, Clark Smith will be in the water teaching the swimmers the basics of proper turns
- Streamlines: Probably the most important skills to learn in swimming, a streamline is about rocketing through the water with little resistance. It's free speed!
- Underwater Dolphin Kick: After you've learned the streamline, learn the fastest way to move through the water: dolphin kicking underwater. Keep your legs together and use your core to kick both up and down. Before you know it, your swimmer will be dropping time!
NEW SESSION: 11 & Older Session with Brett Hawke and Andrew Appleby
Olympic swimmer and Coach Brett Hawke has not only swam at the highest level by competing in two Olympic Games, but he has also coached 14 Olympians! He will be going over the details of a fast turn, streamline, and underwater dolphin kick along with the help of OSU record holder Andrew Appleby!
- Flip Turns: Going through the turn FAST is all about getting into a tight tuck and then exploding through your legs to jump off the wall. Brett is a sprint specialist and he focuses on proper technique when executing explosive and fast movements.
- Underwater Dolphin Kicking: Learn a proper streamline from fingertips to toe tips with proper posture and core engagement. THEN begin to undulate from your core to achieve a powerful whip through your body. Go underwater and watch Andrew Appleby's underwater dolphin kick and the proper technique will "click" into place!
- Breakouts: Keeping streamlined through the breakout takes body awareness and practice. Explode through your first stroke keeping your head down and a powerful kick. This skill will make a big difference in every race.
Competitive 11 & Under and 12 & Older Sessions with Clark Smith, Todd Schmitz, Brett Hawke, and Andrew Appleby
FOUR ELITE FFT CLINICIANS will lead these two SOLD OUT sessions on April 29th. Flip turn faster, dolphin kick more powerfully, and breakout more efficiently at this high performance swim clinic led by a wealth of knowledge from swimming legends!
- Flip Turns: Learn to carry your momentum through the turn to get ahead of the competition every wall. Use your core and your arms to get through the turn and then plant your feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Clark Smith is an Olympic gold medalist due to his discipline and focus when executing a proper flip turn. Practice drills and exercises to help you master this athletic skill.
- Underwater Dolphin Kicking: The fastest swimmers in the world dolphin kick off of their walls and breakout ahead of the competition. It's not as hard as you think. Clark will help swimmers improve their technique as well as commit to a number of kicks off of every wall so that they can imporve their underwaters now as well as in the future.
- Breakouts: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the elite clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe the elite clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing the elite clinicians' medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!