Stroke Technique & Explosive Performance Swim Camp
Sat, Oct, 09 2021 - Sun, Oct, 10 2021
Northridge High School
56779 Northridge Dr, Middlebury, IN 46540
October 9 & 10, 2021: Two-Day Stroke Technique & Explosive Performance Swim Camp –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance four session camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ performance over all strokes, as well as starts and turns.
Saturday, October 9:
Session 1: High Performance Butterfly Technique (Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM)
Session 2: High Performance Breaststroke Technique (Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3 PM)
Sunday, October 10:
Session 3: Flip Turns and Open Turns (Check in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11:30 AM)
Session 4: Explosive Starts and Relay Exchanges (Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3 PM)
Elite Clinician Coley Stickles will be breaking down each session curriculum using their versatile experience, developed over the duration of their professional careers! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
4 sessions for swimmers age 10 & older who have at least one year of competition experience!
SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
Participants will work with our clinicians to improve on the nuances of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position. Swimmers will work to make these habits their own!
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with our clinicians on establishing and maintaining a proper butterfly body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong kicks. Attendees will work on how and when to kick in fly for maximum speed.Timing is crucial.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow swimmers to have a more efficient butterfly. Our clinicians will help participants get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: A common mistake swimmers make is mistiming their breath. Swimmers will work on low and hydrodynamic breaths and best timing so that they can swim avoid breaking rhythm.
SESSION 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! A swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Participants have the foundation. Now, they will work with clinicians on how to utilize core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position." Many swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" and become exhausted. Our clinicians will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The kick is responsible for about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Our clinicians will work with participants to polish up their kick resulting in the ultimate propulsion forward!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on the body. Learn how Our clinicians times his breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
SESSION 3: FLIP TURNS & OPEN TURNS
Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push-off in the perfect streamline.
- FLIP TURN: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURN: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
SESSION 4: EXPLOSIVE STARTS & RELAY EXCHANGES
The start is the most momentum a swimmer experiences in a race. There are many intricacies to performing an explosive start; from dominating entry into the water, to breaking the surface into that first stroke. Our elite clinicians have spent countless hours practicing these skills and will work with swimmers on how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Clinicians will work with swimmers to find the best position on the block as well as how to powerfully launch off into a tight streamline. Swimmers will also discover their optimal reaction time to get off the blocks fast and ahead of their competition.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster underwater than on the surface! With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool. Participants will practice how to utilize this skill in their breaststroke swims!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Swimmers will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate into the first stroke instead of losing speed.
- RELAY EXCHANGES: Relay exchanges are one of the trickiest skills to master in swimming. Learning the proper technique for a well timed finish and an explosive relay dive is important in ensuring a legal, but small reaction time.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe them swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with clinicians, get autographs, and a FREE Fitter & Faster Swim Cap!