Past Clinic: 2021 Comprehensive Freestyle & Backstroke Racing Camp
Mon, Jun, 21 2021 - Sun, Aug, 15 2021
Island Park Pool
616 1st Avenue South, Fargo, ND 58102
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Fargo, ND.
The Grove Aquatic & Fitness CenterInfo
White Bear Area YMCAInfo
Comprehensive Freestyle & Backstroke Racing Camp –Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
Swimmers in this camp will focus on developing winning strokes while practicing efficient technique, and applying speed in their training and racing!
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (All Days):
Session 1: Check-in 6 AM, Clinic 6:15-8:15 AM
Session 2: Check-in 8:45 AM, Clinic 9-11 AM
The clinicians will lead four sessions over two days at each camp for swimmers ages 10 and over.
Swimmers will take their training and racing to the next level at this comprehensive freestyle and backstroke racing camp! In the first session of each day, participants will focus on the mechanics of a smooth and powerful stroke to become faster and more efficient swimmers. In the second session each day, participants will work on developing speed, focusing on distance per stroke vs tempo, pacing, and a training set. This camp will be led by elite clinician Atiba Wade!
AUGUST 14 - SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make swimmers faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Atiba Wade will be in the water and on deck leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These skills will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Swimmer’s freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Swimmers will become a stronger and faster kicker through reinforcing both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Atiba will work with swimmers on how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke!
- BREATH: Timing is everything! Atiba will work with the participants on how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
AUGUST 14 - SESSION 2: FREESTYLE APPLIED SPEED
The technique for swimming a fast freestyle race changes depending on the distance. Learning how to prioritize tempo vs. length and speed vs. efficiency can make a big difference in maximizing speed in shorter races or increasing endurance in longer races. The session will also include a training set designed by Atiba Wade to challenge swimmers and complement the technical foundation developed on day one.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: Depending on a swimmer's race, their distance per stroke might change. Longer distances require extended, efficient strokes to save energy. Shorter events might need to have to increase the number of strokes taken to go faster. Participants will work with Atiba to discover the proper stroke counts for different event lengths.
- TEMPO: A Swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Slower tempos allow swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes. Faster tempos are tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: At this session, the clinicians will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo to limit fatigue and increase efficiency to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING FREESTYLE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Atiba Wade and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
AUGUST 15 - SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Begin to master the subtle skills that will help swimmers compete at a higher Backstroke level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation as well as a stable and balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Atiba Wade to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: If a swimmer is kicking from their knees it is less efficient than kicking from the hip. Atiba will help swimmers maintain maximum propulsion with the proper kicking technique.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water. Participants will work on timing their catch for the greatest amount of pull possible.
AUGUST 15 - SESSION 2: BACKSTROKE APPLIED SPEED
Atiba Wade will work to take the solid backstroke foundation developed on day one and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing specific to any backstroke event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient backstroke techniques.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: A swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help participants swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, the clinicians will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Atiba Wade will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a powerful back arch over the water so that they can have an explosive start in every backstroke race!
- TRAINING BACKSTROKE: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by Atiba Wade and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap!