Race Strategy Camp: 50’s & 100’s
Sun, Nov, 28 2021 - Mon, Nov, 29 2021
Silverton Swim Club
1401 Evans Rd, Cary, NC 27513
NOVEMBER 27-28, 2021
Race Strategy Camp: 50’s & 100’s – Swimmers at this camp will focus on developing a strong race strategy for events 50 and 100 yards in any stroke. By learning how to vary components of technique, pacing, and tempo, participants can take their racing to the next level in any stroke. Sunday will focus on events 100 yards in length. Monday will focus on swimming a fast 50 yard race. Your Elite Clinician for this camp will be Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary! Tyler is one of the most experienced and highly reviewed clinicians with Fitter and Faster.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Session Times (Both Days):
–Group B: Check in 2:00 PM, Clinic 2:15 PM-4:45 PM
–Group A: Check in 5:15 PM, Clinic 5:30 PM-8:30 PM
The clinicians will lead two sessions per camp for each group based on your swimmer’s best time:
November 27: Groups will be based on your swimmer’s 100 yard freestyle time
– Group A: 1:03 and faster
– Group B: 1:04 and over
November 28: Groups will be based on your swimmer’s 50 yard freestyle time
– Group A: Boys 27.5 and faster, Girls 29.5 and faster
– Group B: Boys 27.6 and over, Girls 29.6 and over
DAY 1 (SATURDAY): SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming a 100 yard race requires a unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the perfect balance between staying underwater, maintaining speed on the surface, and keeping a strong breathing pattern is difficult, but Tyler Clary is one of the best instructors to help teach your swimmer.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Tyler will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: some swimmers focus on each 50, balancing “front end speed” and “back end speed”. Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow your swimmer to improve their 100!
DAY 2 (SUNDAY): SWIMMING A FAST 50
Swimming the 50 is all about perfectly executing the details of the race and swimming with explosive power. A swimmer's technique should vary slightly depending on the distance their swimming. The arm pull, breathing, timing, and rotation style will be different in the 50 than they are in the mile. In this session, your swimmer will work with Olympic gold medalist Tyler Clary to find ways to be more explosive in their stroke technique and sprint faster in their shorter races!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Tyler will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tyler questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tyler swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tyler, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!