Las Vegas, NV
Past Clinic: 2021 Explosive Performance Turns Camp
Sat, May, 22 2021 - Sun, Sep, 12 2021
Durango Family YMCA
3521 Durango Hills YMCA, Las Vegas, NV 89144
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Las Vegas, NV.
Santa Clarita Aquatics CenterInfo
Murrieta Mesa High SchoolInfo
Northwood High SchoolInfo
September 11-12, 2021 : Explosive Performance Turns Camp –SAVE by signing up both days of one camp or multiple days across multiple camps
Did you know that the fastest that a swimmer is ever moving through the water (other than the start) is during every turn? Swimmers will work with Elite Clinicians John Shebat & Helen Yee to nail the essential skills needed to have FAST turns! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
Saturday, September 11: Flip turns, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and powerful Breakouts.
Sunday, September 12: Open Turns, Underwater Pullouts, and Finishes.
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
11 & Under: Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
12 & Over: Check in 12:30 PM, Clinic 12:45-3:45 PM
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
SEPTEMBER 11: FLIP TURNS, UNDERWATERS & BREAKOUTS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and powerfully push off every wall. John Shebat and Helen Yee will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race!
- FLIP TURNS: Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will also practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Many swimmers go through the motions of dolphin kicking without creating much power. At this session, our elite clinicians will work with each swimmer to learn the proper muscle activations, size, and frequency of their underwater dolphin so that they can accelerate through the breakout in both the butterfly and backstroke legs.
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the power created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to accelerate into the lap.
SEPTEMBER 12: OPEN TURNS, FINISHES & UNDERWATER PULLOUTS
Swimmers will identify and work on what techniques carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Participants will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. They will follow up with discovering faster ways on how to break a streamline into a strong underwater pullout.
- OPEN TURNS: Swimmers should not just go through the motions of an open turn; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves carrying momentum from one lap into the next. Swimmers will work with John and Helen to nail an efficient and quick open turn.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Swimmers will polish up the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Swimmers will reinforce their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down to out touch the competition.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask John questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe John swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim cap!