Lock Haven, PA
Past Clinic: High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Nov, 17 2018 - Sun, Nov, 18 2018
Susquehanna Avenue, Lock Haven, PA 17745
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Lock Haven, PA.
The Ethel Walker SchoolInfo
Hagerty Family Events Center (David Hallman III Aquatics Center)Info
Keystone Aquatic CenterInfo
Hollidaysburg Area High SchoolInfo
Two Day Swim Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
At this swim camp, two of the sessions will focus on elite freestyle and backstroke technique. The other two sessions will focus on starts off the block, underwater dolphin kicking, and breakouts.
Each session will be led by Olympic gold medalist and elite clinician Nick Thoman. He will be in the water leading the participants through techniques and drills to improve while also providing individual feedback. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Nick will teach at 4 sessions designed for competitive swimmers ages 12 & over and ages 11 & under.
SESSION 1 & 2: FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common including the body position, rotation, and an early press back into the water! Working on both strokes together deepens a swimmer's understanding of the importance of these aspects. Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to race faster in both free and back with Nick Thoman.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Nick will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Session 3 & 4: Starts, Backstroke Starts, and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and he will teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Nick will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Nick is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
- BREAKOUTS: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Get your heartrate up with one of the best swimmers in the world and watch Nick's near-flawless technique - achieved by practicing the same drills he will teach you.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and receive a special gift from our sponsors!