High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, May, 23 2020 - Sun, May, 24 2020
Reedley High School Aquatic Complex
477 Manning Ave, Reedley, CA 93654
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all FOUR sessions!
In four sessions over two days, swimmers will focus on refining their technique for faster and more efficient freestyle and breaststroke in addition to practicing starts and turns with explosive power.
Session 1: Starts & Underwaters
Session 2: Freestyle Technique
Session 3: Turns & Finishes
Session 4: Breaststroke Technique
*This camp is limited to 36 swimmers per session
This camp will be led by Olympic Gold Medalist Staciana Winfield! Staciana is a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic clinician with the ability to relate with swimmers of all abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (Both Days):
AM Sessions (1 & 3): Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
PM Sessions (2 & 4): Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:15 PM-2:15 PM
Staciana will lead four sessions over two days. This camp is recommended for swimmers ages 9 to 14.
SESSION 1 (SATURDAY AM): STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into a tight streamline. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympic gold medalist Staciana Winfield has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Staciana will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stroke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
SESSION 2 (SATURDAY PM): HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
As you know, freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Staciana Winfield will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Staciana will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but the length and timing are also important! Staciana will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SESSION 3 (SUNDAY AM): TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Olympic gold medalist Staciana Winfield will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
SESSION 4 (SUNDAY PM): HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Staciana Winfield will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Staciana will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinician times her breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Staciana questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Staciana swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Staciana, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!