High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Sep, 22 2018
Brownell Talbot School
400 North Happy Hollow Boulevard, Omaha, NE 68132
We are proud to be partnering with Midwestern Swimming to offer three sessions of clinics along with Olympic Gold medalist Clark Smith!
Two sessions will focus on High Performance technique for freestyle and backstroke. One session is for swimmers ages 11 & under. The other session is for swimmers 12 & over. A special third session will focus specifically on technique for faster starts and turns!
Sign up for one session or save by signing up for two! Read more on the curriculum for each clinic below.
Clark will lead three sessions designed for competitive swimmers of all ages and ability levels:
Session 1 – 11 & Under
Session 2 – ALL Ages
Session 3 – 12 & Over
Session 1 & 3: Freestyle and Backstroke
Often called the "long axis strokes", freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common! Both strokes require a long and strong body line, powerful rotation, and an early press back into the water. Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith will teach the participants drills and skills for a faster freestyle and backstroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will engage in exercises and drills to reinforce holding a straight, solid body-line every single time they are in the water - so that it becomes second nature... and they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Clark Smith will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith will work with participants on how to use their core rotation to develop MORE POWER in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Session 2: Starts and Turns
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer should be moving in a race is after the start and after every turn? Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith will teach your swimmer how to maximize their speed at these key points in a race and how to maintain that momentum into their streamline and underwaters!
- STARTS: The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into your streamline and underwater kicking. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Clark Smith will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Clark will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You don't turn around; you spin backwards! Spinning backwards enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. Turning around is a process of stopping and going again. YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THIS! We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Clark questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Clark's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!