Past Clinic: High Performance Technique for Faster Racing
Sat, Sep, 29 2018 - Sun, Sep, 30 2018
2451 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Mt. Lebanon High SchoolInfo
Pine-Richland High SchoolInfo
Summit Middle SchoolInfo
Two Day Camp – Sign up for one or both sessions!
At these high performance swim clinics, your swimmer has so much that they can learn from Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith along with Olympic swimmer and coach to Olympians Brett Hawke!
They will be teaching a session for each age group on starts and underwater dolphin kicking on Saturday. Then on Sunday, there will be a session on freestyle and mental strength for each age group.
Clark and Brett will teach at 4 sessions designed for swimmers of all ages and abilities:
Sessions 1 & 2: Starts, Backstroke Starts, and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and Olympic Coach and swimmer Brett Hawke will teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Clark and Coach Brett will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- BACKSTROKE STARTS: Getting into the right ready position with a straight back, hips high on the surface of the water, and feet positioned to get maximum power is extremely important to being able to execute a fast and clean backstroke start. Clark and Coach Brett will work with swimmers at this session to achieve a beautiful back arch over the water so that they can have an advantage in every backstroke race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Clark Smith is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
Sessions 3 & 4: Elite Freestyle and Mental Strength
Your swimmer does freestyle more than any other stroke in practice... but are they swimming it with as much efficiency and power as they could be? At this session, participants will work with Olympic gold medalist Clark Smith and Olympic swimmer and coach Brett Hawke to deepen their understanding of the details of freestyle technique and master the skills necessary to swim freestyle faster and more efficiently. There will also be a discussion on strategies for becoming more mentally strong and finding the right mindset to cultivate success.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Clark and Coach Brett will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- MENTAL STRENGTH: A swimmer's biggest obstacle preventing them from taking their swimming to the next level is often found between their ears. Clark and Coach Brett will lead a discussion on helping swimmers unlock their hidden potential by creating new positive thought patterns and learning effective goal setting strategies. What your swimmer learns in this session will be invaluable. See your swimmer become a more confident person in every area of their life by developing mental strength!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Clark and Brett questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Get your heartrate up with one of the best swimmers in the world and watch Clark's near-flawless technique - achieved by practicing the same drills he and Brett will teach you.
Take a photo while wearing Clark and Brett's medals, get autographs, and receive a special gift from our sponsors!