High Performance Technique Camp
Sat, Jan, 19 2019 - Sun, Jan, 20 2019
Liberty University Natatorium
1521 Liberty Mountain Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24515
Two-Day, Four Session Swim Camp!
At this swim camp, there will be 4 sessions, each with a distinct curriculum. Swimmers may sign up for one, two, three, or SAVE by signing up for all 4 sessions!
Your clinician will be 2016 Olympic gold medalist Gunnar Bentz. He will be in the water at each session teaching his tips and tricks for technique for faster racing. Scroll down to read more on the curriculum.
SAVE – Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Gunnar will lead 4 sessions.
Session 1: Starts and Underwater Dolphin Kicking
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Olympian Gunnar Bentz will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How your swimmer sets up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to launch themselves forward with a lot of explosive power. Gunnar will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Gunnar with work with participants to maintain a tight streamline while executing a powerful core driven whip that will allow them to accelerate into the breakout.
Session 2: Butterfly
Butterfly does not have to be the hardest stroke. In fact, the fastest butterflyers in the world have developed the technique necessary to swim fast AND relaxed. Gunnar will teach detailed technique and drills to help the participants feel, understand, and execute a better butterfly!
- Body Position: Stay horizontal in the water and close to the surface to reduce drag and maximize your speed. Swimmers will learn how to keep their hips high and their chest low.
- Arm Pull: Learn to think about the butterfly arm as three-dimentional. Partcipants will learn the proper width, depth, and length to maximize the power in every arm pull. They will also learn to achieve an early catch to achieve longer and stronger strokes!
- Kick: How much should you bend your knees in your butterfly? Gunnar will help each partcipant feel the proper fly kick technique to maximize power and reduce drag.
- Breath: Most swimmers struggle with how to keep their breath as low as possible. Trust in Gunnar and work on keeping your chin in the water when you take a breath.
- Timing: Timing is everything in butterfly. The way that the kick, pull, and breath work together will take a good butterflyer to a great racer!
Session 3: Flip Turns, Open Turns, and Finishes
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and finishes of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, Olympic gold medalist Gunnar Bentz will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Gunnar will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this, you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: Races can be won and lost by hundredths of a second. Many races come down to the very last stroke. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that your swimmer doesn't waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Session 4: Freestyle
Freestyle is the most technical stroke and it is also the stroke that you swim more than any other. Gunnar Bentz will lead participants through each part of the freestyle stroke and drills to help them deepen their understanding of fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- Bodyline: Your freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will work with Gunnar to reinforce good posture and an engaged core to have a foundation for a stronger and more connected freestyle.
- Kick: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from an Olympic gold medalist in freestyle.
- Pull: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Gunnar will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- Rotation: The rotation is where most of the power comes from in freestyle. Gunnar will help swimmers dig deeper into how to properly utilize a strong core and powerful rotation to create more speed in their freestyle.
- Breath: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Gunnar will show you how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Gunnar questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Gunnar swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Gunnar's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!