High Performance Swim Camp Series
Sat, May, 01 2021 - Sun, Nov, 28 2021
Salem Workout Club
16 Pelham Rd, Salem, NH 03079
November 27-28: Race Strategy Camp: 50’s, 100’s, 200’s & 500’s – Sign up for individual sessions or SAVE when you purchase a Bundle!
This two-day camp will highlight different curriculums based on competitive swimmers’ age groups! Each group will work with Olympic Gold Medalist Clark Smith to work on race-winning strategies for sprint up to mid-distance events! Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
11 & Under: Race Strategy – 50’s & 100’s
- Saturday, November 27: Swimming a Fast 100
- Sunday, November 28: Swimming a Fast 50
- Check in 9 AM, Clinic 9:15-11:45 AM
12 & Over: Race Strategy – 100’s, 200’s & 500’s
- Saturday, November 27: Swimming a fast 200 & 500
- Sunday, November 28: Swimming a fast 100
- Check in 12:15 PM, Clinic 12:30-3:30 PM
Scroll down for more details on curriculum.
These camps are designed for swimmers with a minimum of one-year of competitive swimming experience all the way up to AAAA times and faster. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not invited without submitting their times or swimming history to Fitter and Faster.
"How should I swim my race?" It's a question all swimmers will ask many times throughout their careers. To an outsider, this may sound like a silly question... surely the answer is as simple as "fast'. However, there is so much more to it! In order to be an effective and efficient racer, swimmers must go into every race with a plan as well as a deep understanding of the relationship between all of the elements that make up a great race. This camp is not about any specific stroke; it's all about all of the possible strategies that go into a fast and efficient 50, 100, 200 & 500 race plans so that your swimmer can find the best strategy for them and become a more confident racer!
NOVEMBER 27 (11 & Under): SWIMMING A FAST 50
The splash and dash! Swimming the 50 is all about perfectly executing the details of the race and swimming with explosive power. In this session, swimmers will work with our elite clinicians to find ways to be more explosive in their stroke technique and sprint faster in their shorter races!
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Clark Smith will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is undeniably the fastest way to move through the water! Whether a swimmer dolphin kicks on their stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
NOVEMBER 27 (12 & Older): SWIMMING A FAST 200 & 500
Races over 200 yards and meters are some of the most fun to swim and to watch because of the wide variety of strategies that swimmers can use. Some swimmers will take the race out very fast and hope to hang on at the finish, some will save their energy and finish strong, while others will hit consistent splits to balance those two strategies. Clark Smith will help participants see which 200 & 500 race strategy works the best for faster racing.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: Every swimmer strategizes their 200 and 500 yard races differently, and Clark will demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of the main approaches. Whether your swimmer likes to go out hard or finish strong, having a pre-race strategy will help make sure they are ready to swim each race confidently!
NOVEMBER 28 (12 & OVER, 11 & UNDER): SWIMMING A FAST 100
Swimming the 100 freestyle requires a unique strategy and planning for fast racing. Technique is tweaked to provide more power for the event, and taking advantage of the start and streamline off each wall has a larger impact. Trying to find the perfect balance between staying underwater, maintaining speed on the surface, and keeping a strong breathing pattern is difficult, but your Elite Clinicians are some of the best instructors to help teach your swimmer.
- SPRINTING: Sprinting is all about swimming with “controlled aggression!” Clark will demonstrate how to swim with power, while also being relaxed - having too much tension will make your swimmer slip in the water and slow down. Swimmers will observe how to tweak their stroke to make them quick yet efficient - increasing tempo, shortening the breath, and a strong connected kick will lead to an explosive race!
- PACING: Pacing for races 100 yards or meters can be broken up many ways. Clark will present different strategies on how to swim 100s: some swimmers focus on each 50, balancing “front end speed” and “back end speed”. Experimenting and learning new techniques will allow your swimmer to improve their 100!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask their clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with the clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Swim Cap!