Clarks Summit, PA
High Performance Stroke Technique – Clarks Summit, PA
Sat, Oct, 13 2018 - Sun, Oct, 14 2018
Abington Heights High School
222 Noble Rd, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
Did you know that there are many similarities between freestyle & backstroke? There are also many similarities between breaststroke & butterfly
At this high performance swim clinic, participants will be in the water working with Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman on how understanding the connections between the strokes can help them drop time! Sign up for one or BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
Scroll down for details on the curriculum!
SAVE! Take advantage of early bird pricing – Sign up before prices rise!
Nick Thoman will lead four sessions. Sign up for one or BOTH sessions for your swimmer’s age group:
SESSIONS 1 & 3: Explosive Butterfly and Breaststroke
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of high hips and an aggressive attack forward in each stroke. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will work with swimmers to understand the common attributes of fly and breast as well as how to achieve technqiues to race faster!
- BODY POSITION: Maintain a horizontal body line, while generating forward progress, to move through the water efficiently without diving up and down the pool creating unwanted drag. Nick will work with participants to keep their hips high in fly and breast.
- UNDULATION: Your coaches tell your swimmer to undulate, now they will learn how to press their chest and drive their hips to create that undulating movement and create forward momentum for more power in both butterfly and breaststroke.
- RHYTHM: The WHEN in fly and brest is incredibly important to creating a rhythm that is sustainable throughout a whole race. Learn when to kick, pull, breathe, and ATTACK each stroke! Accelerate at the right times and be patient at other times to achieve maximum speed and power in your short axis strokes.
- PULL: Believe it or not, the power portion of the butterfly and breaststroke pull both require high elbows and grabbing onto the water with the forearms. Gripping the water requires focus and skill. Learn from Nick how to get more out of every pull!
SESSIONS 2 & 4: Powerful Freestyle and Backstroke
Often called the "long axis strokes", freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common! Both strokes require a long and strong body line, powerful rotation, and an early press back into the water. Olympic gold medalist Nick Thoman will teach the participants drills and skills for a faster freestyle and backstroke during these sessions.
- BODY POSITION: Nick Thoman is an expert on the proper posture and body position to cut through the water without drag. Freestyle and backstroke both require a low and stable head position and engaged core. Figure out the best body position for YOU with Nick!
- ROTATION: Don't let your arms do all the work alone! Your swimmer should think about how a core driven rotation connected to the arm pull can help your swimmer get more power out of every stroke.
- FLUTTER KICK: Both freestyle and backstroke require a strong flutter kick. Nick Thoman will work with participants on how to get power in both the up and the down kicks with a pointed toe. Your swimmer will look like they have a motor behind them after working with Nick!
- CATCH: The earlier a swimmer can begin putting pressure back into the water, the stronger the arm pull! Elite swimmers achieve this by bending their elbow early in the stroke for a high elbow catch. This movement is not intuitive, but Nick Thoman will work with swimmers on how to feel the proper positioning and the power they can get from it!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Nick Thoman questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Nick Thoman swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by swimming at top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing Nick's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!