Baton Rouge, LA
High Performance Starts, Turns, & Freestyle Camp
Sat, May, 02 2020 - Sun, May, 03 2020
Mirabeau Park Aquatic Club
1300 Wylie Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70808
Two-Day High Performance Racing Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all three sessions!
Compete at a higher level this summer league season! Participants will enhance their freestyle racing by focusing on stroke technique and the explosive movements that make up starts, turns, and finishes. The first session for each age group will focus on explosive starts and powerful underwaters. The second session will cover freestyle technique for a more efficient stroke and faster racing. Each age group will finish with a third session working on fast turns and well-timed finishes.
*Each session is limited to 35 swimmers
This camp will be led by NCAA All-American Tayla Lovemore! Tayla is a very knowledgeable and enthusiastic clinician with the ability to relate with swimmers of all abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Saturday, May 2
Session 1 (12 & Over): Starts – Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
Session 2 (12 & Over): Freestyle – Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12:00 PM-2:00 PM
Session 1 (11 & Under): Starts – Check in 3:00 PM, Clinic 3:15 PM-4:45 PM
Sunday, May 3
Session 3 (12 & Over): Turns – Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
Session 2 (11 & Under): Freestyle – Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:15 PM-1:45 PM
Session 3 (11 & Under): Turns – Check in 2:15 PM, Clinic 2:30 PM-4:00 PM
Tayla will lead three sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 8 years old are not recommended without your coach’s approval.
SESSION 1: STARTS, UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING, & BREAKOUTS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into a tight streamline streamline. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. NCAA All-American Tayla Lovemore has spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Tayla will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stroke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
SESSION 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
As you know, freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. Tayla Lovemore will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Tayla will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but the length and timing are also important! Tayla will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SESSION 3: FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. NCAA All-American Tayla Lovemore will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Swimmers will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tayla questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe Tayla swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Tayla, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!!