Past Clinic: High Performance Starts, Turns, and Finishes
Fri, Jul, 13 2018
Holcomb Swimming Pool
205 Redford Drive, Holcomb, KS 67851
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Holcomb, KS.
Holcomb Swimming PoolInfo
At this high performance swim clinic your swimmer will learn some of the most important skills in swimming from two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton! Chloe will be in the water working with the younger session on starts and finishes and the older sesssions on turns and finishes! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to improve.
Chloe’s mom, Wendy, will also lead a discussion about supporting your swimmer!
This clinic will be held the day before the WKSC combined meet! So come a day early and take advantage of this terrific opportunity.
SAVE! Take advantage of early bird pricing and sign up before prices rise!
Ages 11-12 and Ages 13 & Over Curriculum: Flip Turns, Open Turns, and Finishes
These areas of racing fast can become a swimmer's biggest challenge. Turns and finishes have a lot in common because they both require acceleration and proper timing into the wall. Many swimmers have difficulty timing their strokes into the wall and actually decrease in speed and slow down. The walls are for speeding up! At this clinic, Chloe Sutton will help all of the participants get in and out of every wall faster and learn the technique to accelerate into the wall for a fast finish.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn so that they can drop time! Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Chloe will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill in these sessions.
- OPEN TURNS: The open turn is often done incorrectly. Extra movements are added in that slow swimmers down. Participants will learn from Chloe to keep it simple by spinning backwards and keeping their elbows in close. If you listen closely to Olympian Chloe Sutton she will show your swimmer how she became the fastest swimmer in the country through the turn.
- FINISHES: Many swimmers win or lose Olympic medals by "out touching" their opposition. A fast finish can make a big difference in your swimmer's times! For someone who does not understand swimming - it may sound simple to learn how to keep your head down and accelerate into the wall with long strokes. But, it requires a lot of skill and practice... At this session participants will practice their timing into the wall and elongating their bodies and reaching through their fingertips to touch the wall with maximum extension!
Ages 10 & Under Curriculum: Starts and Finishes
At this session, participants will learn how to improve on the start and finish of every race. These are key areas of dropping time! Chloe will teach drills and exercises to help swimmers practice how to maximize their speed and power at these key areas of every race.
- STARTS: Chloe will work with each swimmer on setting up on the blocks in a position that will help them explode forward as soon as the buzzer goes off. Participants will learn to pull with their arms and then shoot them forward into a tight streamline before entering with a tight and straight body line. Learn technique for faster starts with Chloe!
- FINISHES: Finishing properly takes discipline and practice! Your swimmer will practice getting long and keeping their head down to accelerate into the wall with less resistance. You won't believe the difference it makes in your swimmer's times!
Special Parent Talk with Wendy Sutton
Wendy is the mother of two elite athletes: two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton and University of Colorado football player Colin Sutton! At the beginning of each clinic, after the clinicians do intros, the swimmers will head to the pool to warmup and the parents will go with Wendy for a 30 min discussion about being an effective sports parent. Wendy will discuss how to encourage and support your swimmer through the ups and downs of athletics. Have the opportunity to ask the parent of two elite athletes any questions you may have!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe Sutton questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing Chloe's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!