High Performance Racing Techniques
Sat, Apr, 27 2019 - Sun, Apr, 28 2019
Boys & Girls Club Milford
101 Delaware Veterans Blvd, Milford, DE 19963
Two Day Swim Camp!
On Saturday, participants will work on fast flip turns, open turns, and underwater dolphin kicking. These skills are where most swimmers have the biggest opportunity to drop time!
Then, on Sunday, participants will work on elite level technique for faster racing in freestyle and backstroke. Swimmers will work on improving their stroke length, power, and tempo in each of these strokes!
Your elite clinician for this camp is National Champion and Stanford Alum Eugene Godsoe! Eugene is a sprinter known for his speed, especially through the turns. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up today!
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Eugene will lead 4 sessions for competitive swimmers – two for swimmers ages 11 and under and two for swimmers 12 and older. Swimmers younger than 8 are not recommended. Sign up for one or both sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
SESSIONS 1 & 2: FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, AND UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
Races are often won and lost because of the quality of turns and underwater dolphin kicking of the competitors. Many people don't realize this, but the push-off and streamline from the wall after a turn SHOULD BE the fastest a swimmer will go while in the water other than the streamline after a dive. Even elite level, swimmers often add in extra movements on their turns or aren't properly streamlined in their underwater dolphin kicking which slows them down and even cause them to lose races that they could have won. At these sessions, National Champion Eugene Godsoe will work with each participant to maintain their momentum at these key points in a race.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Eugene will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Eugene Godsoe is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
SESSIONS 3 & 4: FREESTYLE AND BACKSTROKE
Have you ever noticed how freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch? There are many similarities between freestyle and backstroke and they can be challenging for swimmers to improve on because of the complexity of the technique! Your swimmer will learn drills and skills to be able to understand the WHY behind each movement as well as feel and apply techniques to build more power and race faster with National Champion Eugene Godsoe.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will reinforce holding a straight and solid body line so that they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Eugene will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Eugene Godsoe will help swimmers learn the importance of rotation and how to use it to their advantage for more power in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Eugene questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Eugene swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Get your heartrate up with one of the best swimmers in the world and watch his near-flawless technique - achieved by practicing the same drills he will teach you.
Take a photo while wearing Eugene's medals, get autographs, and receive a special gift from our sponsors!