High Performance Racing Skills
Sat, Sep, 15 2018
111 West Park Street, Franklin, PA 16323
This is a high performance swim clinic where your swimmer has the opportunity to sign up for 1 or 2 sessions for their age group!
Participants will be in the water with National Champion Tom Luchsinger working on essential skills and techniques for swimming faster. Every participant will leave more prepared, more knowledgeable, and more confident to race faster!
Scroll down to read more about the curriculum in each session!
SAVE by signing up with early bird pricing! Prices will rise as we get closer to the clinic.
Sign up for 1 or both sessions for your swimmer’s age group.
Session 1 - 11 & Under: Freestyle and Backstroke
Often called the "long axis strokes", freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common! Both strokes require a long and strong body line, powerful rotation, and an early press back into the water. National Champion Tom Luchsinger will teach the participants drills and skills for a faster freestyle and backstroke.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will engage in exercises and drills to reinforce holding a straight, solid body-line every single time they are in the water - so that it becomes second nature... and they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Tom Luchsinger will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. National Champion Tom Luchsinger will work with participants on how to use their core rotation to develop MORE POWER in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
Session 2 - ALL AGES: Flip Turns, Open Turns, and Finishes
The turn is an opportunity for your swimmer to increase their speed in the middle of a race. Even elite level swimmers sometimes add in extra movements on their open and flip turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn! At Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of their turns! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions National Champion Tom Luchsinger will teach your swimmer how to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Tom will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
- FINISHES: Turns and finishes have a lot in common. In both cases, swimmers must accelerate into the wall! Many races come down to hundredths of a second. Your swimmer will learn how to drive their legs, elongate their arms, and keep their head down so that when it comes to close races, your swimmer always comes out on top.
Session 3 - 12 & Over: Starts, Underwater Dolphin Kicking, and Breakouts
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. National Champion Tom Luchsinger will share his experience on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach you some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- FLAT STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Tom will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: Not a single great dolphin kicker kicks from their knees down! Tom will instruct your swimmer on how to engage your kick from the core, utilizing your chest press and hip drive to create a fluid undulating motion. The fastest swimmers in the world dolphin kick off of their walls, learn how to get more speed and power out of every kick!
- BREAKOUTS: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Tom questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Tom swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves
Take a photo while wearing Tom's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!