Past Clinic: High Performance Racing Skills
Sat, Sep, 22 2018 - Sun, Sep, 23 2018
Methacton Aquatic Club
1005 Kriebel Mill Rd, Eagleville, PA 19403
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
Within 250 miles of Eagleville, PA.
Shaker High SchoolInfo
Ithaca High SchoolInfo
Mexico High SchoolInfo
Over two days, Olympic gold medalist Jack Conger and National Champion Austin Surhoff will be leading FOUR SESSIONS of clinics for competitive swimmers. Sign up for one or both sessions for your swimmer’s age group.
Two sessions are going to focus on the short axis strokes: breaststroke and butterfly. Two other sessions will focus on Starts and turns
Scroll down for more details on the curriculum and sign up before the sessions sell out.
Sign up early and SAVE! Prices will rise as we get closer to the clinic.
Jack and Austin will lead four sessions. Sign up for 1 or both sessions for your swimmer’s age group!
Session 1 & 2: Butterfly and Breaststroke
The short axis strokes are butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that they can swim more connected and with more efficiency! Participants will also learn how to improve their open turns with Olympic gold medalist Jack Conger!
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Jack will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
Session 3 & 4: Starts, Open Turns, and Flip Turns
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer should be moving in a race is after the start and after every turn? At these sessions, participants will learn how to maximize their speed and power on the start, open turns, and flip turns so that they can generate more momentum heading into their streamlines!
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to explode forward with a lot of explosive power. Jack will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Jack will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You should not be making an open to turn around and swim the next lap. If you're doing this - you're actually stopping and then trying to regain speed again. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn... helping you in all of your breaststroke and butterfly races!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Jack questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Jack swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Jack's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!