High Performance Racing Camp
Sat, Sep, 26 2020 - Sun, Sep, 27 2020
111 N. Post Oak Ln., Houston, TX 77024
High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
At this two-day camp, age-group swimmers will refine their racing skills and learn to carry their forward momentum at key points in their race during this explosive performance camp. Adults have the opportunity to improve in all aspects of their freestyle races by focusing on efficient technique as well as racing and training strategies.
- Swimmers Ages 9-14: Explosive Performance: Starts & Turns Camp
- Adult Swimmers: Comprehensive Freestyle Racing Camp
Your Elite Clinicians for this camp are Olympians Clark Smith And Tori Trees Smith! In addition to both competing on swimming’s largest stage, Tori is Clark’s mother! This talented family is known for their detailed technical knowledge and are exceptional at teaching swimmers of all ages and abilities. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session Times (Both Days):
Adult Camp: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:45 PM
Youth Camp: Check in 12:45 PM, Clinic 1:00 PM-3:00 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will have limits on the number of swimmers per lane to maintain social distance. We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
Clark and Tori will lead two sessions for each camp. The youth camp is open to all swimmers ages 9 to 14. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without your coach’s approval. The adult camp is open to any participants over 18 years old.
SEPTEMBER 26: STARTS & UNDERWATERS
The start is your swimmer’s opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time with great efficiency and momentum heading into the streamline and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start, and it will only improve with practice. Olympians Clark Smith and Tori Trees Smith have spent countless hours practicing starts and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- STARTS: Your swimmer’s proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow them to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Clark and Tori will work with your swimmer to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stoke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
SEPTEMBER 27: TURNS & FINISHES
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Clark Smith and Tori Trees Smith will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact, fast turns in any race. It’s easy for swimmers to have lazy turns when they are tired, but by learning the correct technique and practicing daily, your swimmer can gain speed on each turn.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- FINISHES: Races can be won or lost by hundredths of a second, and many races come down to the last few strokes. Your swimmer will learn how to use their kick to accelerate into the wall, time their stroke for a perfect arm extension, and keep their head down so they don’t waste any time or strokes as they approach the wall.
AUGUST 26: FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE AND RACING STRATEGY EXECUTION
As you know, freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. At this session, Olympians Clark Smith and Tori Trees Smith will lead participants through a progression of freestyle drills and exercises that will dive deep into complex technique for maximum efficiency and speed. These will allow you to deepen your understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle.
- FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE: Clark and Tori will lead participants through unique and challenging drills to even further refine freestyle technique. Participants in this session will improve through each individual component of fast and efficient freestyle racing as well as how each of them fits together!
- FREESTYLE RACING STRATEGY: In every race, swimmers must find their perfect balance between their tempo and distance per stroke in order to allow their freestyle to be as fast and efficient as possible. In this session, Olympians Clark and Tori will work with each athlete to refine the way they think about each race through becoming more aware of the important statistics!
AUGUST 27: FREESTYLE STARTS AND TURNS
The fastest that you are ever moving through the water is after the start and after every turn. This session will focus on explosive starts and accelerating through every flip turn so that you can drop time in your freestyle races
- STARTS: Finding your proper hand and foot placement on the block can allow you to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Clark and Tori will work with swimmers to find the best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter the water through a small hole.
- FLIP TURNS: You will learn ways to improve the way you carry your momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Clark and Tori questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Clark swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Clark and Tori, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!