White Bear Lake, MN
High Performance Freestyle and Backstroke Racing
Mon, Dec, 28 2020 - Wed, Dec, 30 2020
White Bear Area YMCA
2100 Orchard Ln., White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Three-Day High Performance Swim Camp – This camp will focus on racing faster in every freestyle and backstroke race. Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Swimmers will take their training and racing to the next level at this freestyle and backstroke racing camp! Each age group will have three sessions: on Monday, participants will learn the common mechanics of freestyle and backstroke and how those movements relate to both strokes. On Tuesday refine racing skills by focusing on flip turns and underwater. Participants will finish on Wednesday by practicing executing different strategies for faster racing.
Session sizes are limited to no more than 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience!
This camp will be led by Elite Clinicians who swam at the highest level and are exceptional teachers with talent for explaining and demonstrating the technique required for fast racing! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum!
Session Times (All Days):
11 & Under: Check in 8:00 AM, Clinic 8:15 AM-10:15 AM
12 & Over: Check in 11:15 AM, Clinic 11:30 AM-2:00 PM
Your clinicians will lead three sessions for each age group. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience. Swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without their coach’s approval.
DAY 1 (MONDAY): FREESTYLE & BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Freestyle and backstroke are called the “long axis” strokes because swimmers rotate their hips and torso from side to side. Freestyle and backstroke utilize the same kick, body position, posture, rotation, and an early catch; improve these complex skills to become a faster and more powerful swimmer! Elite Clinicians will cover drills and skills to break down these strokes into easy-to-understand movements that will come together for a faster, stronger, and more efficient stroke technique.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with their clinicians to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection.
- ROTATION: The fastest swimmers in the world use a powerful rotation to create more power and connection in every pull and kick. Learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: It is very important for both freestyle and backstroke swimmers to bend their elbow early in the pull to put immediate pressure back on the water. Your clinicians will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke!
DAY 2 (TUESDAY): FLIP TURNS & UNDERWATERS
Focusing on having faster turns is an easy way to drop time and win close races. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Your Elite Clinicians have spent countless hours practicing flip turns and underwater dolphin kicking and will show your swimmer how to be explosive and efficient with each movement.
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall, using their core and arms to get through the turn, and planting the feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Participants will learn drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill!
- STREAMLINES: A good streamline is all about eliminating as much drag as possible to move through the water faster. Very few swimmers actually know how to streamline correctly. Your swimmer should be fully engaged from fingertips to toe tips with a strong core and proper body alignment. Clinicians will work with each swimmer to not only understand the techniques needed to have the best streamline possible, but he will also help the participants FEEL what it's like to move through the water with less drag.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The fastest swimmers know how to weaponize their dolphin kicking. It is absolutely, undeniably, the fastest way to move through the water! Whether you dolphin kick on your stomach, side, or back, understanding the importance of streamlined, underwater speed is vital for every swimmer!
- BREAKOKUTS: Many swimmers add movements in their breakout that create drag and destroy all of the momentum created during their underwater dolphin kicks. Your swimmer will work on staying streamlined and keeping their head down on the first stroke to accelerate into the first few strokes.
DAY 3 (WEDNESDAY): APPLIED SPEED & RACE STRATEGY EXECUTION
The technique for swimming a fast race changes depending on the distance. Elite Clinicians will work to take the solid technical foundation developed on day the first two days and teach sprint and distance variations for fast racing for any distance event. The session will end with a strategically crafted training set to highlight fast and efficient stroke technique.
- DISTANCE PER STROKE: One way to increase efficiency is to take fewer strokes. Counting the number of strokes and improving technique to decrease that number will save energy. On the other side, it may be faster to take more strokes per length, especially in shorter events.
- TEMPO: Your swimmer’s tempo is how fast or slow they complete each stroke. Having a slower tempo allows swimmers to conserve energy by taking fewer strokes, while a faster tempo is more tiring but much faster. Changing tempo based on event distance and fatigue level will help your swimmer swim as fast as possible.
- PACING: When racing, many swimmers will prioritize tempo over distance per stroke, which causes them to take a higher number of shorter strokes on each length. This is a very inefficient way to swim and can cause a swimmer to race much slower and fatigue quicker. At this session, your Elite Clinicians will help participants refine their stroke count and tempo so that they can utilize their strengths to race faster in any distance!
- TRAINING SET: Also included in this session is an elite workout designed by your clinicians and the Fitter and Faster Coaching Team. This workout is specifically designed to challenge your swimmer’s freestyle and backstroke and help identify strengths and weaknesses in their training, which will ultimately transfer into becoming a better racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe your clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient, and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with some of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with your clinicians, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!