High Performance Freestyle and Butterfly Technique
Sat, Aug, 25 2018
Highland High School
9135 Erie Street Highland, Highland, IN 46322
Your swimmer has so much they can learn from two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton and Olympic gold medalist Gunnar Bentz! They will be in the water teaching technique for freestyle and butterfly at two sessions of high performance swim clinics.
Chloe and Gunnar will lead two sessions designed for competitive swimmers of all ages and ability levels.
Session 1: Freestyle and Distance Per Stroke
We swim freestyle more than any other stroke in training, instead of tuning out on technique use Gunnar Bentz and Chloe Sutton to inspire you to make each stroke you take count. Begin by setting up a great bodyline, learning drills to establish high elbows in both your powerful catch and your relaxed recovery and commit to a six beat kick. We know that the breath can slow even some of the most accomplished freestylers down, learn to perfect not only your timing but also how to take a low and quicker breath.
- Bodyline: Your freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will learn to maintain good posture and engage their core to have a foudation for a stronger and faster freestyle.
- Kick: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technqiue and timing of each kick from two Olympians.
- Pull: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. She will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power out of every stroke!
- Rotation: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- Breath: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Gunnar and Chloe will show you how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
- Distance Per Stroke: There are two ways to swim faster freestyle: move your arms faster OR take longer strokes! At this session, Olympic freestyler Chloe Sutton will work with participants to allow each stroke to take them further so that they can drop time in every freestyle race!
Session 2: Butterfly
Butterfly, more than any other stroke relies on rhythm and momentum to swim smooth, relaxed, AND fast! Take advantage of the expertise of Chloe Sutton and Gunnar Bentz and they will share with you drills and exercises to learn balance, timing and how to create forward momentum.
- Body Position: Learn from Olympians Chloe Sutton and Gunnar Bentz how to establish high hips in the water. This will allow swimmers to feel a consistent downward and forward chest press.
- Arm Pull: Learn to think about the butterfly arm as three-dimentional. Partcipants will learn the proper width, depth, and length to maximize the power in every arm pull. They will also learn to achieve an early catch to achieve longer and stronger strokes!
- Kick: How much should you bend your knees in your butterfly? Gunnar and Chloe will help each partcipant feel the proper fly kick technique to maximize power and reduce drag.
- Breath: Most swimmers struggle with how to keep their breath as low as possible. Trust in Gunnar and Chloe and work on keeping your chin in the water when you take a breath.
- Timing: Timing is everything in butterfly. The way that the kick, pull, and breath work together will take a good butterflyer to a great racer!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Chloe and Gunnar questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe and Gunnar swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by swimming at top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing the Chloe and Gunnar's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!