Past Clinic: Go Loco for Long Course Season
Sat, May, 19 2018 - Sun, May, 20 2018
Washington-Lee Aquatics Center
1301 N. Stafford Street, Arlington, VA 22201
Upcoming Swim Clinics and Camps
A description of what was covered at this past clinic is below the upcoming clinics.
William H. Sonner Aquatic FacilityInfo
Washingtonville High SchoolInfo
Mt. Lebanon High SchoolInfo
Outer Banks Family YMCA | YMCA of South Hampton RoadsInfo
Jenison HS Aquatic CenterInfo
Pine-Richland High SchoolInfo
Shimon and Sara Birnhaum Jewish Community CenterInfo
This swim clinic focuses on learning technique to sprint faster in freestyle races as well as racing strategies to dominate in a long course pool. Swim with and learn from two-time Olympian Bruno Fratus. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
There will be two sessions designed for swimmers of all ages and abilities. The pool will be short course for the clinic. Bruno will be in the water teaching for both sessions. Brett Hawke will only teach on Sunday!
Sprint Freestyle Technique
Did you know that there are many differences between a distance freestyle and sprint freestyle stroke? At this swim clinic, learn from a sprint freestyle two-time Olympian and World Championship medalist the technique that you need to reach max speed!
- Body position: The fastest swimmers in the world hydroplane along the surface of the water and hold a straight and strong body line to minimize resistance. Rocket over the surface like a speedboat, don't plow through the water like a submarine.
- Kick: Your kick should be fast and consistant to keep your momentum driving forward. Practice kicking using the correct muscles maximize the speed and efficiency of your stroke.
- Pull: Get more power out of every stroke by focusing on getting maximum extension and then putting immediate pressure back into the water. Press yourself forward using your lats and core. Bruno will show you how it's done!
- Breath: Learn the proper number of breaths that you should take in your sprint freestyle races and then how to get a quick, small bite of air.
Long Course Racing
Short course and long course have different racing strategies. Learn from Bruno Fratus what it takes to race faster in a 50 meter pool! Not everybody has access to training long course every day, so learn about how to rock your races in the big pool no matter where you train!
- Tempo: Move your arms faster and get your tempo higher by engaging your core and driving from your shoulders. Getting a fast turnover can be a challenge, but learn how to hold proper technique while moving fast with Bruno!
- Distance Per Stroke: While tempo can be important, it's even more important to maintain a long distance per stroke. Focus on an aggressive extension, early press back into the water, and a long finish to keep your strokes long AND fast!
- Pacing: How do you pace a 50, 100, or 200 in long course racing? This clinic is all about maintaining speed while also having endurance as you compete in a 50 meter pool.
LEARN FROM BRUNO AND....
On Sunday, Olympic swimmer AND coach Brett Hawke will be joining Bruno to teach at the clinic!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Bruno questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics. Get to know him and relate to his journey as inspiration for yourself.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Bruno Fratus swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
Learn the same drills that Bruno practices every day as well as what he thinks about when he swims. Then get the chance to practice them and get feedback!
Take a photo while wearing Bruno's medals, get autographs, and receive a special gift from our sponsors!