Farmingville, New York Swim Camp for Ages 10 to 12
Sachem East High School
177 Granny Rd, Farmingville, NY 11738
Fitter & Faster is returning to Sachem East High School in Farmingville, New York to produce a 2-day swim camp on October 21 & 22! This swim camp is for ages 10 to 12. Please click here for the swim camp page for ages 13 & over!
WALLS, WALLS, WALLS SWIM CAMP (Ages 9 to 12)
DAY 1: The Fifth Stroke - Underwaters
DAY 2: Flip Turns, Open Turns & Finishes
SATURDAY, Oct 21 (3:30pm - 6:30pm): Swimmers who sign up to participate in the Swim Camp are also able to purchase video analysis of their strokes. Video filming and analysis is NOT available to those who are not signed up for the Walls, Walls, Walls Swim Camp.
Click the “Curriculum Menu” below for details on this swim camp
-> Availability in each session of the swim camp is limited to 24 participants to ensure the highest level learning experience
-> SAVE when you purchase the “Entire Camp Bundle”
Select a curriculum below
WALLS, WALLS, WALLS SWIM CAMP - October 21 & 22
Quick, powerful underwaters & turns are crucial to fast times and winning close races. Elite swimmers are constantly working their turns & underwaters and looking for areas to improve them. Over two days, we're going to work with your swimmer on taking their underwaters, flip turns open turns & finishes to the next level!
- DAY 1: THE FIFTH STROKE - UNDERWATERS (Oct 21): Top-level swimmers generate significant power and momentum with each wall in practice and in races. We are going to work with each participant to improve the fastest sequence in every lap of every race race: streamline, underwater dolphin kick and breakout! The techniques covered in this session will help improve swimmers times in every race.
- Streamline: The streamline - if done properly - will be the fastest a swimmer travels while in the water. Proper streamlines are even faster than underwater dolphin kicking. Even the most elite swimmers in the world are constantly working on improving their streamline. Your swimmer will get tips to improve their streamline and a better appreciation of what they need to do on every single wall in practice and in races.
- Initiating Underwater Dolphin Kicking: Elite swimmers want to maximize their streamline on every single lap. So, they don’t want to start their underwater dolphin kicking while they’re still achieving maximum speed in their streamline. They also don’t want to start the underwater dolphin kicking after their streamline has begun to slow. Your swimmer is going to learn how to time when to begin their underwater dolphin kicking.
- Powerful Underwater Dolphin Kicking: There are a few different techniques that swimmers use when underwater dolphin kicking. The common theme of these techniques is that the best swimmers kick up and down with equal power. We will show your swimmer the different techniques that elite swimmers use and teach them how to implement.
- Number of Underwater Dolphin Kicking: Figuring out the optimal number of kicks off each wall, for each race, is essential to fast swimming. Elite swimmers want to spend only the absolute necessary amount of time underwater to establish speed with each length. They want to avoid losing their breath and taking weak kicks.
- Breakouts: Many swimmers add movement within their breakout that creates drag and destroys all of the speed created during their underwaters. Participants will work on timing their breakouts to explode into each lap.
- DAY 2: FASTER FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS & FINISHES (Oct 22): Today, we're going to work with your swimmer on taking their turns to the next level by working on approaching the wall, building momentum and transitioning from one lap to the next as fast as possible!
- Momentum: At the elite level of swimming, walls aren’t just used for turning around - they are used to generate speed and momentum going into the next lap. Outside of the elite ranks, most swimmers stop or slow down while going into the wall, which kills their momentum! We will work with participants on the intricacies of approaching every wall at top speed and seamlessly initiating their “turn”.
- Flip Turns: Flip turns are an opportunity for your swimmers to increase momentum in the middle of a race! Flip turns in which the athletes slow down or have “mechanical” movements negatively impact the speed at which a swimmer comes off the wall. We will work with your swimmer to produce fast flip turns so that they can explode off the walls at maximum speed.
- Open Turns: Elite butterflyers and breaststrokers utilize speed from their last lap to create momentum and even more speed at the beginning of the next lap. Their open turns are actually not “turns”, but more like high-speed pivots. Participants in this session will work on these techniques to have much faster open turns!
- Finishes: Setting yourself up for a fast finish is very similar to setting yourself up for a strong turn in any race. Races are won and lost by hundredths-of-a-second at every swim meet. Many races come down to the last few strokes. At this camp, your swimmer will learn techniques to set themselves up for a well-timed finish when they are still about 10 yards from the wall.
- Streamline & Breakout Progression: At this session participants will continue to work on the progression covered on Day 1.
VIDEO FILMING & ANALYSIS - October 21
Sign up to get the same video analysis as the Pros! Competitive age group swimmers and adults will have their strokes professionally filmed at strategic angles below the surface! After filming, your video will be analyzed with voice-over and graphics on the actual video by Scott Colby, a former Performance Development Advisor for USA Swimming! Scott Spent 13 years interacting with athletes and coaches at USA Swimming Championship meets providing feedback and detailed video analysis of strokes and races! SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS SECTION for a video of what to expect for your video filming & analysis!
- BENEFITS OF GETTING FILMED: Since so much of the stroke happens below water – it is incredibly important to see what’s going on below the surface! Small adjustments to your stroke can lead to big time drops! This is your opportunity to get beautiful footage of your stroke and get analysis from an expert… and you can review with your coach as well!
- ANALYSIS: Our Fitter and Faster expert will use a video analysis application to record their comments on your technique. They will use slow motion, pause the video at specific points, and draw on the swimmer's video all while explaining where opportunities for improvement are. Each stroke will have approximately 3 to 5 minutes of expert commentary that you can review with your coaches at home!
- DRILL RECOMMENDATIONS: You will receive recommendations for drills to correct the technique of each swimmer.
- SIGN UP: Swimmers who sign up to participate in the Walls, Walls, Walls, Swim Camp are also able to purchase video analysis of their strokes. Video filming and analysis is NOT available to those who are not sign up in the Walls, Walls, Walls Swim Camp.
- ARRIVING AT THE POOL (Retain your order number): You will receive an e-mail approximately one week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed. Please retain your order number - this is how swimmers will be identified on that schedule. When you arrive at the pool, you will be greeted by Fitter & Faster staff who will provide you instructions on the filming process.
- WARM UP: Participants will have an opportunity to warm up before filming.
- FILMING: Our camera operator will have you swim two 25s at a strong pace of each stroke purchased (1 stroke or all 4 strokes). The filming of each stroke will take about three minutes. The video will capture a side angle and a front angle below the water to get an accurate view of your technique.
- SESSION LEGNTH: Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes.
- TIMELINE: All videos will be analyzed and returned within 14 days of the camp. The analyzed videos along with the original video will be sent via email for you to keep!
- Walls, Walls, Walls (Both Days): Check in 8 AM. Camp: 8:15-10:45 AM
- Video Analysis (Oct 21). *See below for more details on your filming time): 3:30pm to 6:30pm
- Depending on the number of strokes you are getting recorded, your session time will run between 5 and 15 minutes
- You will receive an email a week before the filming session with the specific time for your swimmer to check in, warm up, and be filmed.
- Swimmer's scheduled time will be between 3:30-6:30PM.
- Elite Video Filming & Analysis is for ALL swimmers ages 8 & Over, including adults!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask the clinicians questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIANS
Observe clinicians swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with some of the best swimmers and coaches in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo, get autographs, and chat with your clinicians!
Fitter and Faster clinicians are Olympians and National Team members who have achieved at the highest level of the sport of swimming... and who have the unique skill to teach what they know from a technical perspective to swimmers of all ages and abilities.