Explosive Performance: Starts and Turns
Sat, Jun, 08 2019 - Sun, Jun, 09 2019
Northridge High School
56779 Northridge Dr., Middlebury, IN 46540
Two-Day Explosive Power Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for both days!
Did you know that the fastest that your swimmer is ever moving in a race is after the start and after every turn? On Saturday the curriculum will focus on explosive starts and powerful underwater dolphin kicking. Then on Sunday, participants will work on accelerating through every flip turn and open turn.
Leading each session will be 2016 Rio Olympian Renzo Tjon-A-Joe. Renzo grew up in a 3rd world country, Suriname, where his coaches had limited knowledge of the sport and he had no training partners. Despite all that – he is now one of the FASTEST SWIMMERS IN THE WORLD. He swam for Auburn University, studied economics at Harvard and speaks six languages. Renzo is a patient and clever teacher – and will have a tremendous impact on the participants of this swim camp. Also leading each session will be Aly Tetzloff and Maddy Banic! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices increase or the sessions fill up!
Renzo, Aly, and Maddy will be in the water leading four sessions – two for each age group. This camp is designed for swimmers with at least one year of competitive experience and is not recommended for swimmers younger than 8 years old without your coach’s suggestion.
DAY 1 (Saturday): STARTS and UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING
The start is your opportunity to cover as much ground as possible in a very short period of time, with great efficiency and momentum heading into your underwater kicking and breakout. There are countless intricacies to performing a start and you only get better with practice. Renzo will share his experiences on how he found time to practice and improve his start both in and out of the water and teach your swimmer some of his most effective strategies to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- STARTS: How you set up on the block including proper hand and foot placement can allow your swimmer to drive forward with a lot of explosive power. Renzo will work with each swimmer to find their best position on the block as well as how to launch their body forward efficiently into a tight streamline and enter through a small hole.
- UNDERWATER DOLPHIN KICKING: The not-so-secret weapon of elite level swimmers is their underwater dolphin kick. Renzo is known as one of the best underwater dolphin kickers in the world and he specializes in teaching swimmers how to unlock their potential in this important skill.
DAY 2 (Sunday): FLIP TURNS, OPEN TURNS, & BREAKOUTS
Most age group swimmers add in extra movements on their turns and finishes that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn and into the next length! Even at Olympic Trials, we see many very fast swimmers miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of the quality of their turns and finishes! The turn and finish are both opportunities for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when most swimmers usually slow down. At both of these sessions, Renzo will be in the water instructing and providing feedback to the participants on how to improve their turns so that they can drop time!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and use their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful push off in the perfect streamline. Renzo will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Swimmers should not be using an open turn to just touch the wall and push off for the next lap. If they’re doing this, they’re actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards. This enables the swimmer to carry momentum into the push off. We're going to teach your swimmer how to cut a lot of time on this turn, helping in all breaststroke and butterfly races!
- BREAKOUTS: Learn how to carry momentum from the underwater dolphin kicks into the breakout by timing the first stroke and staying streamlined. Your swimmer will practice keeping their head down and it'll make a big difference in their breakout!
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Renzo questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Renzo swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo while wearing Renzo’s medals, get autographs, and a gift from our sponsors!