New Fairfield, CT
Essential Skills for Faster Racing
Thu, Apr, 30 2020 - Fri, May, 01 2020
New Fairfield High School
54 Gillotti Road, New Fairfield, CT 06812
Notice: This camp was originally scheduled for March 28 & 29, but is being rescheduled. The safety of our participants and staff is our top priority. As a company we are following the recommendations of the Center For Disease Control, the National Institute of Health and local officials in which we have camps throughout the United States. New Fairfield High School will be closed to outside activities through April 30th. We spoke with the school administrator who oversees the facility rental and the New Fairfield AquaFlyer Team about rescheduling the clinic for another weekend in May or June of 2020. They were both very supportive about having the clinic and assured us that we would be able to return once the area has been cleared and activities resume. As soon as we have the new date we will notify all participants and registrations will be transferred automatically. We hope you and your families stay safe and healthy! We look forward to seeing you at our swim camp! Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns.
Two-Day High Performance Swim Camp – Sign up for one or SAVE by signing up for all four sessions!
Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate high performance five session camp. Each session has a distinct curriculum designed to improve participants‘ stroke technique as well as starts:
- Session 1: Butterfly
- Session 2: Breaststroke
- Session 3: Starts
- Session 4: Freestyle
- Session 5: Backstroke
*Each session is limited to 36 swimmers!
This clinic will be led by National Champions Laura Sogar and Austin Surhoff! Their attention to detail and eye for perfect technique will make your participant a faster and more efficient swimmer! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Session 1: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 Am
Session 2: Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12:00 PM-2:00 PM
Session 3: Check in 2:45 PM, Clinic 3:00 PM-5:00 PM
Session 4: Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
Session 5: Check in 12:00 PM, Clinic 12:15 PM-2:15 PM
Laura and Austin will lead five sessions over two days. This camp is designed for swimmers ages 10 & older who have at least one year of swimming competition experience.
SESSION 1: HIGH PERFORMANCE BUTTERFLY TECHNIQUE
National Champions Laura Sogar and Austin Surhoff will work with the participants to improve on the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - become committed to these same skills...make them YOUR habits.
- BODY POSITION: Elite butterfliers focus on driving their momentum forward with minimal drag by keeping their heads low and hips high. Participants will work with Laura and Austin on establishing and maintaining the proper body position.
- KICK: Each butterfly stroke has two equally strong and well-timed kicks. Work on how and when to kick in butterfly for maximum speed.
- PULL: Long and smooth strokes will allow your swimmer to have a more efficient butterfly. Laura and Austin will teach participants to get an early catch on the water for more power in each stroke.
- BREATH: The most common mistakes swimmers make in fly occur during the breath. Swimmers will work on low and efficient breaths as well as WHEN to breathe so that they can swim more efficiently on the breath stroke.
SESSION 2: HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Laura Sogar and Austin Surhoff will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Laura and Austin will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how your clinicians time their breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
SESSION 3: EXPLOSIVE PERFORMANCE: STARTS
Set the tone for a great race with a powerful, streamlined and fast start. There are countless intricacies to performing a great start and your swimmer only improve with practice. Laura Sogar and Austin Surhoff will share how they found time to practice and improve their starts both in and out of the water and then teach some of their favorite strategies on how to execute this explosive and athletic movement.
- HAND PLACEMENT: Your swimmer will work with Laura and Austin to learn where exactly where to place their hands so they can get a strong pull with their arms on the start.
- FOOT PLACEMENT: Everyone's foot placement might be a bit different but Laura and Austin will teach your swimmer how to figure out what is the best position to gain both stability on the block and explosive power when leaving the block.
- REACTION TIME: The quicker your swimmer reacts the quicker they'll get in the water! Learn the secrets of improving the reaction time.
- ENTRY: How a swimmer enters the water is just as important as how explosive they are off the blocks - all the power created can be for naught if they don't carry that speed forward. Experiment with how steep is too steep, how to get into one small entry hole and how to stay strong from fingertips to toes.
SESSION 4: HIGH PERFORMANCE FREESTYLE TECHNIQUE
As you know, freestyle is the stroke swam more than any other in races and practices. Creating and cultivating good habits will not only make your swimmer faster but will also reduce the risk for injuries in the long term. National Champions Laura Sogar and Austin Surhoff will be in the water leading participants through a progression of freestyle drills. These will allow them to deepen their understanding of each part of the stroke and help create good habits for fast and efficient freestyle technique.
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Your swimmer will reinforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation to form more connection and power out of every pull and kick.
- KICK: Your swimmer will become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Laura and Austin will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish to the stroke! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power from every stroke.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out of the water when they take a breath, but the length and timing are also important! Laura and Austin will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
SESSION 5: HIGH PERFORMANCE BACKSTROKE TECHNIQUE
Your swimmer understands the core components of backstroke, now begin to master the subtle skills that will help your swimmer compete at a higher level. Participants will practice using their core to create rotation and a balanced stroke, build a powerful pull with a strategic use of stroke rate, and use their kick as a dominant propulsive force.
- BODY POSITION: Participants will work with Laura Sogar and Austin Surhoff to feel and understand how to maintain a neutral spine and head position for less drag and better full body connection in backstroke.
- ROTATION: The fastest backstrokers in the world use a powerful body rotation to create more power and increase their tempo. Your swimmer will learn how much to rotate, when to rotate, and how to use it for maximum speed and power.
- KICK: Have you ever noticed how many swimmers’ knees break the surface when they kick in backstroke? This means that the swimmer is kicking with their knees which is less efficient than kicking from their hip. Maintaining maximum propulsion and proper kicking technique will greatly improve your swimmer’s backstroke.
- PULL: It is very important for swimmers to bend their elbow very early in the pull so that they can get an early catch for an immediate and powerful press back into the water.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Laura and Austin questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Laura and Austin swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Laura and Austin, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!