Redwood City, CA
Elite 3 Day Camp: Bay Area
Wed, Aug, 08 2018 - Fri, Aug, 10 2018
Bay Club Redwood Shores
200 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065
This is an elite level clinic to be held over three days for swimmers ages 11 and up. Sign up for one session, two, or save by signing up for ALL THREE!!!
Your lead clinicians will be Olympian and UC Davis coach, Scott Weltz along with other high level coaches. Your swimmer is going to improve at this intimate, high performance, 3 session camp. Read more on the curriculum for each clinic below.
SAVE by signing up early! Prices will increase as the clinic date approaches
Sessions are limited to 36 participants. (Only swimmers ages 11 and older). Sign up for 1, 2, or ALL 3 of the sessions:
Session 1: Freestyle, Backstroke, and Goal Setting
Often called the "long axis strokes", freestyle and backstroke have a lot in common! Both strokes require a long and strong body line, powerful rotation, and an early press back into the water. Olympian Scott Weltz and Coach Carlene Takaki will teach the participants drills and skills for a faster freestyle and backstroke as well as effective goal setting and injury prevention.
- FREESTYLE: Participants will engage in exercises and drills to reinforce holding a straight, solid body-line every single time they are in the water - so that it becomes second nature... and they can cut through the water with less drag. Practice keeping a still and low head position (especially during the breath!) while driving a strong flutter kick. Scott and Coach Carlene will also teach participants how to get an early and powerful press backwards on the water in the arm pull to get more out of every stroke. From the 50 to the mile, your swimmer will learn skills that will allow them to drop time in every freestyle race.
- BACKSTROKE: Engaging your core not only allows you to swim stronger, but it also allows you to hold the proper body position. Olympian Scott Weltz and Coach Carlene will work with participants on how to use their core rotation to develop MORE POWER in each stroke. The arm pull in backstroke should press the water all the way through using the whole arm to achieve maximum propulsion. Backstrokers are often the fastest kickers on their teams, find out why and learn to have a stronger kick!
- GOAL SETTING: One of the most common, and simplest, strategies individuals in any challenging situation use is learning how to set and go after their goals. There are lots of steps to successful goal setting but the key is OWNING your goal! Your swimmer should "drive their own car" and take charge of pursuing higher goals. Scott and Coach Carlene will help your swimmer set up the simple steps of goal setting and how to take personal responsibility for the successes and failures they'll face along the way.
- INJURY PREVENTION: Did you know that swimming is a sport with a high rate of shoulder injuries? During this session physical therapist Dr. G. John Mullen will speak to the participants and parents on the biomechanics factors that can increase a swimmer's risk of injury as well as what steps a swimmer can take to keep their shoulders healthy!
Session 2: Breaststroke, Butterfly, and Grit
At this session, Olympian Scott Weltz and Coach Bob Hill will teach technique for a faster butterfly and breaststroke! These are very similar and challenging strokes to master due to the importance of rhythm! Participants at this session will learn not only how to have a stronger pull and kick, but also WHEN each movement should happen so that a swimmer's arms and legs aren't fighting each other and they can swim more connected and with more efficiency! At this session we will also be discussing what it means to have grit and courage not only in swimming, but in all activities that they participate in.
- BUTTERFLY: Perfect the complexities of balancing power and fluid rhythm in one of the most dynamic athletic movements. Elite butterfliers maintain forward momentum by setting an immediate high catch with a perfectly timed kick. They are committed to a breathing pattern, perfecting their distance per stroke, and maintaining a horizontal body position - Scott and Coach Bob will help your swimmer become committed to these same skills to make them their habits every time they swim fly!
- BREASTSTROKE: Your swimmer will begin with a strong understanding of the timing of the kick and pull and begin to utilize the same strategies world class breaststrokers use to minimize their footprint in the water. Participants will learn the skills of swimming in a horizontal plane, keeping the hips high throughout the entire cycle and utilizing a small but powerful kick while generating power forward with their recovery.
- GRIT: Experts say that grit is the most important attribute of successful athletes. Grit is all about resiliancy and perserverance through fatigue and failure. Every swimmer experiences ups and downs in their career, but the ability to continue to enthusiastically pursue goals, even during the lowest of lows, is what makes champions. Scott and Coach Bob will teach participants how to develop grit and be courageous swimmers!
Session 3: IM Racing and Turns
The turn is an opportunity for your swimmer to increase their speed in the middle of a race. Even elite level swimmers sometimes add in extra movements on their open and flip turns that slow them down and prevent them from carrying their momentum through the turn! At Olympic Trials we see many very fast swimmers who miss making finals and even the Olympic team because of their turns! The turn is an opportunity for a swimmer to actually GAIN MOMENTUM, when in fact most swimmers actually slow down. At both of these sessions, Olympian Scott Weltz and Coach Ben Chung will teach your swimmer how to improve their turns so that they can drop time and how to strategically race the IM!
- FLIP TURNS: Your swimmer will learn how to carry their momentum through the turn to get in and out of every wall faster. Swimmers will practice accelerating into the wall with long strokes and then using their core and arms to get through the turn. They'll practice planting their feet on the wall for a powerful pushoff in the perfect streamline. Scott and Coach Ben will give the swimmers drills and exercises to help them master this athletic skill now as well as in the future!
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! You don't turn around; you spin backwards! Spinning backwards enables you to carry momentum into the pushoff. Turning around is a process of stopping and going again. YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THIS! We're going to teach you how to cut a lot of time on this turn!
- IM TRANSITIONS: The crossover turn is the fastest way to transition from back to breast in an IM race. It has made headlines lately with even the top swimmers getting disqualified for doing it incorrectly. Olympian Scott Weltz and Coach Ben will ensure that participants are aware of the rules and able to execute the crossover turn FAST and EFFICIENTLY.
- IM STRATEGY: The IM is more than just a race comprised of four individual strokes. Think of the IM as a whole! Participants will work with Scott and Coach Ben to find their best race strategy to be able to swim a faster and more efficient IM! Focus on trusting technique, streamline, and your race plan to swim with more confidence.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Scott and the on-deck coaches questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into their training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Scott Weltz swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to your top speed with one of the best swimmers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves
Take a photo while wearing Scott's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!