Comprehensive Open Water Racing Camp
Sat, Mar, 30 2019 - Sun, Mar, 31 2019
Gulliver Prep School
6575 North Kendall Drive, Pinecrest, FL 33156
Two-Day Elite Comprehensive Open Water Racing Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH Days! Swimmers Ages 16 & Older ONLY
This is a two-day swim camp focused on racing faster in every distance freestyle and open water race. Day one will focus on technique for a more efficient and powerful freestyle stroke for mid to long distance races. On the second day, participants will work on open water racing techniques and strategies.
This is an Elite Camp which means that each session will be limited to no more than 36 participants.
This camp will be led by Elite Clinician and two-time Olympian Chloe Sutton. Chloe is the only American woman to compete in the Olympics in both open water and pool swimming! Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
SAVE: Sign up before prices rise or the sessions fill up!
Chloe will lead two sessions each day for swimmers ages 16 and older ONLY! One session will be for “beginners” who have been competing for 1 year or less. The second session each day will be for “advanced” athletes who have been competing for more than one year.
Sessions 1 & 2 (Saturday): Distance Freestyle Technique
A fast and efficient distance freestyle stroke is all about energy conservation while still swimming at a very fast pace. At these sessions open water and distance freestyle Olympian Chloe Sutton will work with each participant to make each movement count to create speed and reduce drag for a smother, faster, and more efficient freestyle stroke. This will help with endurance as well as injury prevention!
- BODYLINE: Your swimmer's freestyle will never be fast without a strong bodyline. Participants will renforce good posture and engage their core to have a strong foundation for a faster freestyle.
- KICK: Become a stronger and faster kicker through learning about both the technique and timing of each kick from an Olympian.
- PULL: The best swimmers in the world utilize an early vertical forearm to put immediate pressure back on the water. Chloe will also teach swimmers how to get maximum extension and a powerful finish! Learn new drills and exercises to get more power and length out of every stroke!
- ROTATION: Participants will learn to utilize their rotation form more connection and power out of every pull and every kick.
- BREATH: All swimmers know to keep one goggle in and one goggle out when they take a breath, but do they know when and how long to breathe? Chloe will show your swimmer how to make each breath more efficient for faster freestyle racing no matter what distance.
Sessions 3 & 4 (Sunday): Open Water Racing Strategy
Open water swimming is a very strategic sport. There are countless intricacies that go into planning out a great race, yet you still have to remain adaptable. At these sessions, open water Olympian Chloe Sutton will be in the water helping participants learn and master the components to swimming a smart race!
- SIGHTING: Being able to see the buoy or finish can be a real pain in the neck (literally). It is important to learn how to sight efficiently while keeping hips high and head low. Chloe will teach the swimmers in this session other tips and tricks to swim straight and minimize the amout of sighting necessary to get where you need to go.
- DRAFTING: Swimmers can save up to 25% of their energy by swimming in the wake of another swimmer. At this session participants will feel that energy conservation and find that perfect spot for the easiest swim.
- PACK DYNAMICS: Open water can be a very physical sport. With so many swimmers in the water all trying to turn around one buoy, it takes a lot of confidence and strategy (and a little luck) to get in the right position. Work on holding your ground and finiding the right spot in the pack to minimize contact with other swimmers while still maximizing manuverability and drafting.
- FEEDING: In races longer than a 5k, swimmers will either swim past a feeding station or eat some protein gel that was stored in their suit. The fastest open water swimmers in the world practice their feeding so that a "pit stop" takes less than 3 seconds. Practice this skill so that you don't lose your position while refueling.
- STRATEGY: How hard should you push at the beginning? How much should you kick? When should you make your move? There are lots of questions that factor in when you are creating a game plan for your race. Work with Chloe Sutton to find a game plan that will help you swim at your best!
Swimmers are invited to ask Chloe Sutton questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into her training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Chloe Sutton swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Practice what you've learned by taking your stroke to your top speed with two of the best swimmers in the world! Hold on to your form while having the opportunity to challenge yourself.
Take a photo while wearing Chloe's medals, get autographs, and a gift from TYR Sport!