El Dorado, AR
Comprehensive Breaststroke Racing Camp
Sun, Jul, 19 2020 - Mon, Jul, 20 2020
El Dorado Golf and Country Club
101 Shady Side St, El Dorado, AR 71730
Two-Day Comprehensive Breaststroke Camp – Sign up for one or BOTH Days!
This comprehensive racing camp is focused on racing faster in every breaststroke event. The first session will cover the fundamentals of strong breaststroke technique. The second session will focus on drills to enhance technique and a focus on timing of the stroke. Older swimmers will have a third session designed to refine technique in breaststroke turns and pullouts.
Your clinician for this camp is 2016 Olympian Carlos Claverie! Carlos will share his passion for swimming and participants will improve by focusing on the basics. Scroll down for more details on the curriculum.
Sunday, July 19
Session 1 (12 & Over): Check in 7:00 AM, Clinic 7:15 AM-9:15 AM
Session 2 (11 & Under): Check in 9:45 AM, Clinic 10:00 AM-12:00 PM
Monday, July 20
Session 3 (11 & Under): Check in 9:00 AM, Clinic 9:15 AM-11:15 AM
Session 4 (12 & Over): Check in 11:45 AM, Clinic 12:00 PM-2:00 PM
Session 5 (12 & Over): Check in 2:45 PM, Clinic 3:00 PM-5:00 PM
Social Distancing: Fitter and Faster is following all guidelines as it relates to COVID-19 as set by the CDC, NIH and local authorities. This camp will not have more than 4 swimmers per lane (max 20 in each session). We also ask for you to please drop your swimmers off at the sign-in table and to pick your swimmers up after the clinic. If a waitlist is established, please join it. If enough people enter the waitlist we will plan for additional sessions! THANK YOU!
Carlos will lead two sessions for younger swimmers and three sessions for older swimmers. This camp is recommended for swimmers with at least one year of competitive swimming experience and swimmers younger than 9 years old are not recommended without your coach’s approval.
SESSIONS 1 & 2 (SUNDAY): HIGH PERFORMANCE BREASTSTROKE TECHNIQUE
More than any other stroke, breaststroke is the most varied. Out of the eight finalists at the Olympic Games you might see eight different styles of strokes! Without fail, your swimmer's timing and ability to eliminate resistance are both hallmarks of an efficient and powerful breaststroker. Your swimmer has the foundation, now learn from the expert how to utilize your core and hip drive to create a fluid and more forward driving stroke.
- BODY POSITION: The best swimmers in the world learn at a young age about the importance of being patient with their stroke and trusting their "glide position". Too many young swimmers rush their stroke, create "drag" (i.e. slow themselves down) and exhaust themselves. Olympian Kierra Smith will work with participants to maintain a better body position for a more efficient breaststroke.
- KICK: The three parts of the kick are hips, knees, and feet. Kierra will work with participants to kick with power from their hips while keeping their knees close and feet wide. The kick is about 80% of the power in breaststroke. Get more out of each kick for a faster breaststroke!
- PULL: Participants in this session will learn drills to encourage them to keep their hands and elbows high on the water throughout the entire pull, thereby minimizing resistance and maintaining speed.
SESSIONS 3 & 4 (MONDAY): BREASTSTROKE DRILLS & TIMING
In this session, swimmers will continue their breaststroke technique development by focusing on the timing of their stroke and practicing drills. These drills will allow swimmers to focus on a specific part of the stroke to fine tune each movement. Participants will break down their breaststroke and examine how their kick and pull works together to create a powerful and efficient stroke!
- DRILLS: Carlos Claverie will share the same drills and tips he used to become one of the fastest breaststrokers in the world with your swimmer!
- TIMING: A fast breaststroke is all about the rhythm! The proper timing will make your stroke fast, smooth and less taxing on your body. Learn how Carlos times his breaststroke for ultimate efficiency.
SESSION 5 (MONDAY): OPEN TURNS & PULLOUTS - 12 & OVER ONLY
After building a solid breaststroke in the previous two sessions, swimmers will then refine their racing skills in this session. The fastest your swimmer will be moving is after the start and turn, so maximizing this momentum is a critical way to drop time. Elite swimmers maintain their momentum through a quick turn and have a powerful push off every wall. Olympian Carlos Claverie will lead participants through a series of drills to have compact fast turns and strong pullouts in any breaststroke race.
- OPEN TURNS: Think about the open turn differently! Your swimmer should not be making an open turn to touch the wall and swim the next lap; if they’re doing this, they are actually stopping and then trying to regain speed. An expertly executed open turn involves spinning backwards, enabling your swimmer to carry momentum into the push off.
- BREASTSTROKE PULLOUTS: The best breaststrokers are faster under the water than on the surface! Learn the components and sequence of movements that make up a fast underwater breaststroke pullout from Carlos. With the proper body position and timing, a swimmer's pullout will take them almost to the other side of the pool faster than you could imagine.
Swimmers and parents are invited to ask Carlos questions during a Q&A session. Gain insight into his training regimen, diet and nutrition, and recovery tactics.
WATCH THE CLINICIAN
Observe Carlos swim at full speed and demonstrate a progression of perfectly executed drills to achieve powerful, efficient and fast swimming.
PUT YOUR SKILLS TO THE TEST
Swimmers will get to practice what they've learned by taking their stroke to top speed with one of the best breaststrokers in the world! They'll work on holding onto their form while challenging themselves.
Take a photo with Carlos, get autographs, and ALL PARTICIPANTS receive a FREE Fitter and Faster Collector’s Bag Tag for each day they are at the camp. Collect all 37 and trade with your friends!